Montana Combo Hunt 2011

Tree-Topper

My brother and i are starting the planning for a combo hunt in Montana. We have family that live in the Winnett and Fort Peck area, they don't hunt. Can i get a heads-up on the hunting quality and/or pressure. Cheap enough to stay with family, just would hate to burn a tag for a little convenience? We aren't big trophy hunters, just enjoy trying it all, at least once:D Any info. would be great. FYI, any questions about northern missouri whitetails can be answered here!!!!!!!

If I tell you how good the hunting CAN be around Winnett and Fort Peck, am I invited? J/K. It will be worth you time and money, if they have decent property.

are you looking to archery hunt? that info would be needed for some to answer your questions by some here i think

Tree topper- That area is as good as many and better than most in the state for deer, antelope, and elk. I think all rifle elk permits in the surrounding areas are by special draw and VERY hard to draw. An archery elk permit is fairly easy even for a NR. Even if you don't draw a special elk permit you could hunt deer near your family's area and then travel several hours to hunt elk in a general unit.

wow, thanx for welcoming a new member!!!!! we would be interested in an archery tag, but would really like to maximize our opportunity, unfortunately i can't shoot 150 yrds with my bow, HAHA! Big Fin, you're always invited, as long as you bring that bulky camera!!!!!!!!!

the Missouri breaks unit (if your hunting in it) is about damn close to 100% for bow in the draws, but very low odds for rifle on elk. How MT works is you first have to draw the combo tag (60% draw odds or so) and THEN apply for the Breaks area in the special draws. So, you have to apply twice if you want to hunt elk in the Breaks area. I hope you knew that. So that said, hope you draw the combo tag first, then after that hope you draw the Breaks tag. Here is the bad thing, if you put the Breaks for rifle as your first choice, you will not draw the Breaks for the bow season, unless they changed it last year you had to put the breaks archery first and only choice to draw. That was when it was 100% odds, that may have changed, someone correct me if I am wrong.

How MT works is you first have to draw the combo tag (60% draw odds or so) and THEN apply for the Breaks area in the special draws. So, you have to apply twice if you want to hunt elk in the Breaks area.

Hello Friends,

I too am planning a first time DIY Archery Elk hunt to this area (also with my brother) I have found the Nonresident General Combination Application on the FWP website, but where are the applications for the special draws ?? Do we use there Online Licensing System for these ??

Thanks for any help.

Yep, same online licensing system. I don't guess that the 2010 special draws are up yet, since they're still hashing out the regs.

The Breaks area, depending on which one you hunt, is no longer 100% with it as your first choice. I think the percentage listed at FWP is around 96 or 98% but I am not sure if that includes NR apps or not. Since they changed the regs 2 or so years back and limited the number of tags the NR are limited to 10% of the tags ( By state law, nonresidents are limited to, but not guaranteed, 10 percent of the special license and/or permit quota). So if there was 2500 tags available the NR will only be allotted 250 or so tags. Page 14 in the regs has this along with the special permit process. Generally you will need to draw the tag first before you can put in for one of the special tags. You would have plenty of time to enter since the NR app is due in the beginning of March and the special tag app is not due til June 1st. The NR draws are usually posted by the 3rd week of April or so and if you are neurotic like me you can check them every day to see if you drew a tag.

Thanks for the help - that clears some fog.... for now. :) So then, what exactly are the odds of 2 to 4 NR cheese heads all getting a draw on a Nonresident General Combination Tag & a Special Tag draw for the same Breaks unit in the same year ? I'm guessing this would be a pretty rare event.. ??:(

Thanks for the help - that clears some fog.... for now. :) So then, what exactly are the odds of 2 to 4 NR cheese heads all getting a draw on a Nonresident General Combination Tag & a Special Tag draw for the same Breaks unit in the same year ? I'm guessing this would be a pretty rare event.. ??:(

The allow party applications for the combo tag I believe.

And allowing party apps on the special tags is going to be decided on this year, so you guys might be able to apply that way.

I would agree with Belly-deep. Your odds would depend on whether you went in as individuals or as a group. If you applied for the combo tag as a group you are all placed together when you are put into the draw. Meaning that even if there is 4 of you, you will only be given 1 chance in the lottery but if that chance is drawn you all get the combo tag. There is the option in the breaks of putting a cow elk tag as your second choice so you can go and hunt a cow but I'm not certain on the odds for the NR either sex tag or the cow only tag. Buzz H and belly-deep would be better for the numbers, lol.

Thanks Guys !! So then, we'll need to be nuts deep ($643 each) into a NR Combo Tag before we know if we can even hunt in a Fort Peck / Missouri River Breaks unit. Are there units up there that don't require the special draw ??

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mtbirdandbiggamehunter
Back