Montana Bear Hunting

wood1774

I will be moving to Cascade, MT from GA in a few weeks. I just found out that I did not draw a nonresident big game combo tag in MT, needless to say I am a little bummed. I see that MT has over the counter bear tags for nonresidents. Does anyone know if there are a good number of bears in this region? I do not necessarily need to kill a bear but I would like to see some.

I don't think you'll have them right in your back yard, but I wouldn't think you'd have to go far to find them.

If you establish residency as soon as you move here, you should still be able to hunt deer and elk General areas in November. End of October will be 6 months if you arrive in Montana by end of April. Good Luck!

wood1774, You could draw a 900 series nonresident antelope tag for your archery season. Your bear tag is good for spring and fall and archery season for bear runs concurrent with deer/elk archery season this year. You could probably also snag a nonresident deer B permit in some units if you wanted to shoot a doe. Trust me there are plenty of things to do even without an elk/deer combo.

You might want to check with someone in licensing at FWP to make sure there's no problems holding both nonresident and resident licenses in the same year. I don't know if it a problem or not????? Maybe someone here knows. ?????

wood1774, You could draw a 900 series nonresident antelope tag for your archery season. Your bear tag is good for spring and fall and archery season for bear runs concurrent with deer/elk archery season this year. You could probably also snag a nonresident deer B permit in some units if you wanted to shoot a doe. Trust me there are plenty of things to do even without an elk/deer combo.

You might want to check with someone in licensing at FWP to make sure there's no problems holding both nonresident and resident licenses in the same year. I don't know if it a problem or not????? Maybe someone here knows. ?????

Yeah I know there will be plenty of things for me to do during the fall. I was of course looking forward to hunting elk, that is all I have read and dreamed about for the last few years, but there is always next year.

I will apply for the antelope tag and hope I get better results from that drawing. Of course there will always be duck hunting!

Thanks for the info, I will check into that.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back