Montana archery. When to hunt?

Trucker

If you were hunting Bull elk in Central Montana. If you had to choose between September 17-21 or September 24-28. What timeframe would you pick? Thank you.

First part, only because pressure MIGHT be less. Thats a sucky split.

That's a tough one, would almost wait to hear what is going on if you have an in here and decide the week of the 10th myself. I always take the last two weeks of September here, 14 - 30 as the calendar falls this year. Seems to come in fits and bursts through there, and much depends on the weather it seems.

I am lucky enough to hunt "less pressured" elk in that general area. They for sure get hunted, but there are way more elk than hunters. When I used to hunt areas with more pressured elk, it seemed like September 18th was the magic day. More recently things don't even get really good in my spot until the last week of September, and I have killed a few bulls the first week in October too. Weather for sure plays a part in it, but to be honest, you just have to be in ther right place at the right time. I have had bulls come running to a cow call in early September, and the only bull I have ever killed with a rifle was bugling his head off in the middle of an apparent late rut fest on October 30th.

There is no "right" answer to your question. A TON of huge bulls get killed around the 10th of Sept. Anytime from there to the middle of Oct. can have magic days depending on a lot of factors out of your control. Pick the dates that work best for you and go get them. Too many guys get hung up on trying to pick the "best week". Elk hunting is about reading the elk and figuring out a way to kill them. If your goal is to hear a lot of bugles then go towards the end of Sept., but that does not mean that is your best chance to kill one, especially a big one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back