Montana Antelope Doe

Missoulaz28

Got out for a couple days with the wife to try and fill my Antelope Doe tag. After a late start we got to the unit and saw a couple hundred bedded for the day on private land, half a mile from the block management fence. :rolleyes: So onward we traveled.

After an afternoon of glassing herds to far away to make a move on, I had given up and started to head back to camp for a relaxing night of campfires, s'mores and beer.
For some reason I decided to check on a new chunk of public on the way out, even though I could tell there had been lots of traffic on it during the day. About an hour before dark we spotted a herd in a spot that looked to make a stalk on them. We parked the truck in the bottom of the draw and I told the wife to try and keep up. :D Twenty minutes later I was at the fence line I thought they were a couple hundred yards past, turns out it was more like 410 yards. :(

After a couple of minutes of getting set, with a nervous herd of speed goats watching, I made a decent shot and the season was over. :D After on the antelope, I made a mad dash to the truck to grab the sled to get her out. When I got back I realized the camera was still in the truck and decided a phone pic would have to do.
late night 'lopin

We got her drug the 3/4 of a mile back to the truck and did the cleaning and skinning by headlights. :) Finally getting back to camp around 9:45, just a little more effort than I was expecting for a doe. :eek:

Nice! Bummer we didn't get to go down together.

I'll trade you some goat meat for some of that doe meat?

Nice! Bummer we didn't get to go down together.

I'll trade you some goat meat for some of that doe meat?

Well have to do at least one hunt together this year.

I'll take some goat meat, not sure that I'll give up any antelope though. Especially since you have two in the freezer.

It sometimes takes quite a bit of effort for any animal. My brother and I packed out my cow elk about 2 miles a couple of years ago. I know there are some people who won't shoot if they can't drive a vehicle
to the animal. It took us 2 trips each with backpacks.

I never expect anything to be super easy. I might have been able to make this easier if I had waited. But I feel good about doing it the way I did.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back