Montana 2024 regulation change

I got excited when I first read it I thought nonresidents could only hunt birds sept 1- sept 15. Reading thoroughly is important.

I think it will be beneficial for both residents and non residents. I’ll most likely hunt those two weeks, (Weather dependent) then move on to archery. Essential leaving the rest of the season for out of staters. Hopefully this will reduce conflict as well, a lot tempers flaring that first week with overcrowding in some portions of the state.

Last edited:
I have family and friends that are nonresidents that would be affected. Are there really that many people grouse hunting in the mountains?

I wonder if they would consider making mountain grouse archery-only for nonresidents Sept 1-14? I know at least a few elk hunters that really like their grouse and they’ll be in the woods either way (if crowding is more of a concern than harvest).

I would also consider linking it to the big game combo so that those out there already big game hunting still have the ‘opportunity’ harvests. Something like “all non-residents must have an active big game combo license to take mountain grouse before September 15th”.

I wonder if they would consider making mountain grouse archery-only for nonresidents Sept 1-14? I know at least a few elk hunters that really like their grouse and they’ll be in the woods either way (if crowding is more of a concern than harvest).

I would also consider linking it to the big game combo so that those out there already big game hunting still have the ‘opportunity’ harvests. Something like “all non-residents must have an active big game combo license to take mountain grouse before September 15th”.
It’s ok to look at and walk by an animal. I know it’s not the historical Montana way but you don’t have to shoot something to enjoy wildlife.

It’s ok to look at and walk by an animal. I know it’s not the historical Montana way but you don’t have to shoot something to enjoy wildlife.
Oh I agree with you there. I just posed those as ideas and I’m not attached to either one. I just thought those might be compromises that balance opportunity without worsening the crowding. I’m also usually pro-regulation that avoids increasing complexity. It’s unfortunate, but how many nonresident elk hunters will kill grouse during that period either way? Some due to a lack of knowledge and others because they don’t care. But to be clear I’m not trying to go as far as saying we shouldn’t make regulations that are better for wildlife just because people won’t follow them.

Overall, the grouse are pretty safe from me either way

Reactions: DFS
Well, that is interesting. I was considering cancelling my bird hunt this fall because of the drought conditions. Looks like I will be planning to hunt elsewhere this fall.

Well unfortunately it didn’t pass this time around. They were discussing a pilot of only region 6. Looks like an economic impact report will be needed to further address the issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back