Monster Pike from the North!

northwestalaska

Monster Pike from the North!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every year I head up into my secret Pike fishing hole near Noatak Village and we just returned. Despite the high cost of gas up here this is a trip worth the costs. We hammered the pike for 2 solid days until we just got tired of catching pike. In 2 days we landed over 60 fish (me and 2-10 year old boys). Day 1 saw the biggest fish taken with 3 fish over the 40 inch mark but day 2 was the day to remember! The first 12 fish landed were all over 3 feet in length and most 20-25 pounds! I kid you not with this fish story! We ripped up more steel leaders than you can count. The 2 boys were going crazy hooking 36-40 inch fish and they were using 4 and 6 wt. rods outfitted with spider wire. I was using an 8 wt. set up and still had to be careful in playing these monsters! I would bet these are some of the biggest pike in the state but I would just be bragging.

NW Alaska offers not only great hunting but unreal fishing for Pike like this, huge Sheefish and the biggest Char in the state. If you want more info about fishing NW Alaska shoot me an e-mail.

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
Kotzebue, Alaska
www.northwestalaska.com

Attachments

• IMG_8013.jpg
    IMG_8013.jpg
    969.7 KB · Views: 205
Bet those kids had the time of thier lives......
INCREDIBLE FISH:eek:

How long does a fish like that fight?

Whats the best time of year to fish NW AK?

fishing NW Alaska

The best fishing time all depends upon the species you want to fish. The pike are hot right now. They hit any top water plug or lure in early summer until?? They are eating rats and ducks this time of year as well as baby pike. I caught an 18 inch baby and had it almost to the bank when a 30 incher nails the baby! Landed both fish as the larger one refused to let go. About 30% or so of all of the fish we catch this time of year have attack marks on them from other Pike. One truly nasty fish! The larger fish (3 feet and up) take about 10 minutes or better to land as we are using light wt. gear and really bug nets! We loose some but it is a lot of fun to get them on hook.

NW Alaska also has the state record Char and they are best caught late in the fall. The closer to freeze up the better, but big ones are caught from Aug to the end of Sept. I outfit groups into 3 very good char rivers and each are a 4-6 day float trip. We also have a very unusual monster up here called a Sheefish. Sheefish are only found in NW Alaska and a few drainages in Eastern Russia. They are both fresh and salt water fish and they spawn just east of Kotzebue in August. They range from 35-55 inches in length and good ones are 40- 50 pounds. They hit large spoon like a Mac truck and are the true monsters of the north. I outfit 2-3 fishing trips each summer for Sheefish and the guys who go after them come back with some crazy stories!

I have some great Char, Pike and Sheefish pick on my web site so if you’re interested please check it out.

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
Kotzebue, Alaska
www.northwestalaska.com

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270