Caribou Gear Tarp

Modern Huntsman Vol. 5 - Hunting Traditions Edition

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure how many here subscribe to the Modern Huntsman. They always have some really interesting stories and cultural pieces about hunting. I started subscribing after Volume 1. It is the publication i most anticipate when it arrives in the mail twice each year.

They asked me to write a piece about hunting traditions for their current volume focused on such. In my case that was the deer camps of the big woods of Northern Minnesota. I wish mine was a bit more upbeat, but it was the reality of my situation. When I told them my deer camp tradition story wasn't all rainbows and butterflies, they asked that I provide it.

So, here it is. If you are interested in serious discussion about hunting, I think you will find their publication very worth while. Each volume is like a coffee book edition of hunting and the cultures around hunting. Link to subscribe is here - https://modernhuntsman.com/subscribe

MH_Volume05_RandyNewberg P1.jpg
MH_Volume05_RandyNewberg P2.jpg

Attachments

• MH_Volume05_RandyNewberg P1.jpg
    MH_Volume05_RandyNewberg P1.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 18
@BigFin: I really appreciate you sharing this. It shows us as your fellow hunters why you have so much fun each year and why you embrace "camp" the way you do. On your videos, we don't always see a ton of film time at camp, but we certainly see the smiles from everyone when you are talking about it (during hunt, or during your hunt recaps).

Thank you for sharing the story and the amazing writing. It caused me to think back to those cold November mornings when my uncle and Grandfather would come to our house for breakfast opening morning. Being too young to hunt, my brothers and I would get up and have breakfast with "the men" and head back to bed as they ventured out into the crisp morning in search of a whitetail. There would be Saturday deer drives that myself, brothers and cousins would take part in and Sunday was the Lord's day and hunting would wait. I will never forget the season that my dad shot his first buck after hunting nearly 35 years. When I am home and I drive past it, I always tell my wife "that is where my dad shot his deer" like it is the first time I have told the story.
Now I have my annual pilgrimage to Idaho joined by a couple buddies. It only lasts for a few days each November but the planning goes on throughout the year. You are right about deer camp being a "marker" and something to look forward to. A reunion of friends who see each other once a year but are together regardless of the miles in between.
Thanks again for the trip down memory lane.

How much do I have to pay to make this a monthly or quarterly publication? I'm sure it would be worth it.

Thank you for sharing that story. I expect it was not all that easy to put on paper.

Great story and sad. Thank you for sharing. Reminds me of my time growing up hunting the Iron Range for deer camp.

I signed up after your podcast with Tyler. Back-bought the women's and public lands issues.

Randy great words that evokes lots of images in my mind. I think a lot of people can empathize with many of those feelings and experiences in their own lives which is why it is so appreciated.

Thanks for showing us "it ain't all roses". I think too often hunting celebrities make their life seem so perfect that we can't help but be a bit jealous and critical. But to see someone has gone through disappointment, yet is appreciative of the gift of hunting with friends and family when they can, is a breath of fresh air. Thanks for keeping it real.

Back