PEAX Equipment

model 12 16 gauge shotgun info

howler

I'm in the market for a model 12, 16 gauge, there are plenty of them around on the various gun's for sale websites. anyway I have found one with a serial number of 626864 this puts its date of manufacture in 1929, the gun is tight and good shape, If any of you are model 12 enthusiast's, I am wondering if this old of a gun will be up to using it as a field gun for upland, will not be using steel shot.??????

Last edited:
Just wondering it sounds like a great gun, but why would you want to shoot it.? Sounds like a better investment and gun to have in your safe.

I just want a gun to use, I have several shotguns but I'm looking for weight reduction, the model 12 16 gauge with 28 inch barrel weighs in at 6 1/2 pounds, that's a good carry weight. the red label I have used for 20 years tips the scales just over 8 lbs, that wasn't bad when I was younger but its heavy now, the past 2 years I have been packing a Winchester model 37 about 1936 vintage a great gun but its a single shot and for the most part its plenty, but late season roosters I think at least a 2nd shot would be nice, the model 12 is lighter than any of the double barrels,

I believe after 1927 they switched to 2 3/4 so I would verify that. I just picked up a Browning Sweet 16 VR with an extra modified barrel. I had a non vent rib refuel 16 before and it has become my favorite upland gun by far so looking forward to a VR w/ a modified choke. I have always thought about a Model 12 in 16 but I prefer the safety behind the trigger

Pete

I have had a 16ga model 12 my whole life. I got it from my dad. The only shotgun I own. Light, fast, and deadly. Bored it to modified. Pre ww2. I don't need another one. I love that shotgun. I am very prejudged.

That model 12 will certainly do what you want it for. They are bullet proof, as you said no steel.

I've had a model 12 16 gauge since I was was 11 years old in 1966. It's a 1912 nicklesteel barrel with a solid rib 28". I love that gun! I will be taking her to Montana next year for upland.

I've known a few guys who used the 870 410, and they always seemed to get their birds, It has always been my opinion that you had to be a great wingshot to shoot the 410,
Some added info as to why I choose to go with the model 12 as compared to a Remington 870 in 16 gauge, the model 12, 16 gauge is built on a 20 gauge frame and the 870 16 is built on a 12 gauge frame, hence the model 12 is a bit over a pound lighter.
I have had a model 12 16 b4 I bought for 45 dollars back in the mid 70's, I couldn't hit a bird to save my life with it, I did pattern the gun and found out the barrel had been sawed off and it had a terrible pattern, so I sold it to a fsrmer friend of mine who just wanted a loaded gun sitting behind the door so he could run off skunks and other vermin in the night.
I am glad for the above info, thanks guys I'm going to go for the gun. :hump::):D

Great choice, and good luck with the gun, we'll need some pictures now.

Yes , it will be up to upland use for as long as you can still pull your boots on. They almost always shoot where they point and they point very well.
I have quite a few of them and use them at all times of the year. Trap - skeet - upland and even waterfowl at times.
Great guns.

Well as it turns out I missed out on that particular model 12, he sold it 2 days b4 I could give him a commitment. so I am still on the hunt for a model 12 16 gauge, luckily there are lots around, :hump:

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back