Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Missouri Breaks Mule Deer

Wild Creation

My friend and I are planning on floating the Missouri in a canoe and hunting muleys at the end of the month. I hunted there last year, when you could shoot a doe or a buck.

Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts, tips, advice? Has anyone hunted around there much this year yet?

Thanks!

Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts, tips, advice? Has anyone hunted around there much this year yet?

Thanks!

Pray real hard for a heavy frost before you show up. The mosquitoes are big enough to be chasing turkeys and plentiful enough that you can't breathe with your mouth open. There has been unbelievable moisture this year - bad enough that lots of roads got closed and all the old washes are now 3' deeper. There is water running in areas I've never seen water before.

I heard that on the Mosquitos , I was back there a few weeks ago and they were bad!

Keep in mind that if "Wild Creation" decides to hunt, the Mule deer rut, from the river . . . . . the CMR closes Mule deer hunting in mid-November. Mule deer hunting off the CMR goes until the end of the month of November. Check the FWP Regulations and check with the CMR for exact dates.

. the CMR closes Mule deer hunting in mid-November..

I think you meant the CMR closes early for mule deer hunting on north side, except 652. Pretty sure the regulations allow buck hunting in HD 700 the same as the state season.

http://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/2014 Hunting Regs FINAL 06.18.2014 JRW DL.pdf

MULE DEER:
The Refuge has more restrictive mule deer seasons in some hunting districts. All mule deer seasons start on the date of the
state seasons, but may end sooner.

HD 410, 417, Antlered buck only with General Deer A License.
Archery Only – Season dates same as State season.
Rifle - Three week season on Refuge. October 25 - November 16, 2014.

HD 621, 622, 631, 632, Antlered buck only with General Deer A License.
Rifle - Three week season on Refuge. October 25 - November 16, 2014.

HD 652, State Permit required with General Deer A License.
Rifle - Season dates same as State season.

HD 700, Antlered buck only with General Deer A License.
Rifle - Season dates same as State season

This is the time that worked for my friend from MN to come out. And I haven't done this trip before so wanted to go a little early in case the weather drops fast. I'll have to make sure of the CMR regs first

Have a good pack to get them out, look at the ground before you sit down (sitting on cactus will ruin your day), get out of bed and be on a good vantage point that does NOT skyline yourself well before sunrise, glass, glass, and glass.....have fun, take pics, and come back and give us a report on how it went. Good luck

Was throught there on Thursday (hi way 191 Fred Robinson bridge) and I could not believe how green things were. I expect with the amount of feed and water available the critters will be scattered far and wide. And yes, the bugs were still bad..

Had a great trip! It was wild. Not as glamorous as I pictured it. Saw tons of bighorns and much less deer. Shot the first buck I saw. A 4 point (Minnesota 8 point). Had an awesome trip and made some great memories. PS didn't see any bugs the whole time! Found an awesome elk shed too!

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 5,096
  • picture 2.jpg
    picture 2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 4,854
Nice buck.

Make sure you weren't on the CMR when you picked up that shed...

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun hunt.Could you post more details on how the hunt went?I know nothing about this area.Is it a float trip that takes a day or would you overnight camp?I'd love to try a mule deer hunt like this.I did a trip with some locals a few years back by the Yellowstone River,and we pushed off all the islands for deer which was a fun way to hunt for the day.Kind of broke up the endless glassing and driving from spot to spot I'd been doing most the week

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back