Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Missouri Breaks Elk 621-20

yakimacoug

Hey guys
Don't know how I just found this site, but I did. I grew up on a farm in Yakima, WA and have hunted in Montana for six years. This year, for some unknown reason I was fortunate enough to draw a coveted elk tag on the breaks.

I have hunted on both sides of Fort Peck for deer, but planning on spending my time (Nov 3 - 17) chasing a bull. What makes this family trip special is I will have my 79 year old Grandpa with me, though he will only be chasing mulies. Would love to share the experience of a lifetime by tagging a great bull. I think he is more excited than I am.

Spent time on the CMR last year pursuing deer and saw some decent bulls, but was curious if anyone had advice being there later in the season. I know the CMR closes for deer in the middle of my stay. I assume that would help? Having only spent last Fall in this area I would hate to let an opportunity like this pass by.

I hate to be asking for help on my initial post, as it totally goes against protocol. Thanks in advance.

I'm planning on documenting this experience, so you're welcome to ride along.

Cheers

Hope you and your Grandpa have a good hunt. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Would give about anything to get to have another hunt with my Grandpa.

The tag is in HD 621 and is also valid on the CMR. Since it's a 16 hour drive and preseason scouting will be difficult, I'm curious if this area has been hit by fires this summer?

I'm also aware of what happens to the roads with some moisture! That gumbo is crazy stuff.

My wife and I hunted HD-621 a number of times. In 1996 I shot a 7 X 6 point bull on Cottonwood Creek. It scored about 300 points. Drew the tag again in about 2005 but never saw a bull as big as that first one. We also took a few cow elk on permits. Good luck!

I've never had a breaks rifle tag, but everyone that I've talked to that has, has told me a pretty similar story. All of them have had no problem finding elk, but have been pretty let down by the quality of bulls they've seen. All of the archery pressure doesn't seem to affect the population much, but it sounds like the older bulls really get hammered.

Keep us updated on the hunt, I hope you get on a monster.

If you can, go for the opener. It is very early this year - October 20th. My experience is that central Montana bulls bugle well into October. If you are out before sun up and after sun down, it will help you locate them more easily. By your chosen dates, the bugling will be over.

Good luck.

We harvested a cow and 2 muleys out there last year. I agree with Fin, we still heard elk bugling early in the morning, which is how we located them. We saw a great bull but only had a single cow tag. Good luck.

I have spent hours on the phone with the game bio from over there and a few locals who have had the privilege to rifle hunt it. Hunt early, bulls bugling still, sounds like best odds on a good bull. Deer and cow hunters get to shooting and sounds like the big guys know which ranches to go hide on. Good luck on your hunt!

Back