Misfire???

Outdooraddict

Had a chance to hit the water since big game season closed- slow day. Actually took 5 home and gave one to the neighbor (he can eat all the ducks he wants!). Anyhow, had a first time "WTF" moment.

So, I'm picking up decoys and a drake mallard flies right to me. I lift up the gun, aim, squeeze the trigger and- I hear a pop, a little fizz, and little things hitting the water. No kick and the wad slowly flies out of the gun. I didn't know what the hell happened?! I've had shells not go off before, but this was weird.

I'm thinking there was no shot in the wad... but it doesn't explain the weight of the shell or the sound I heard on the water. I figure the wad was loaded with powder??? Anything like this happen to you guys?

Attachments

• DSC04927.JPG
    DSC04927.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 236
Sounds like your shells got wet at some point. I had some loads that had gotten soaked a couple weeks earlier. I thought they were fine, since they were now dry. They did the same thing, basically went about six feet out of the gun. It seems like it was only the primer going off, no powder burning. Weird for sure.

Just another $0.02 worth of possibilities. The shell may not have been air tight, which would have caused the powder to burn, instead of ignite instantiously. The primer pushed the load out the barrel, and the fizz was the powder burning up with oxygen.

your answer is probably most likely that the powder was wet somehow, a hunting partner had a Kent shell do that about 2 weeks ago, but the wad never cam out the wad had rust all over it and the wad had too be pushed out of the barrel, so somehow the shell/powder got damp and did not ignite like it was suppose too.
Matt

my money's on wet, too, I've had it happen, usually at the most inopportune time.

You boys are good. Never thought it would have partially fired wet. So it had just enough charge to shoot out the wad and shot. Thanks.

Aint notified Winchester yet but I will....bought 10 boxes of Win XPERT HI-VELOCITY 12 ga from the Wal Mart in Jackson, MO (at $9.87 a box, who cud refuse?)....second box I got into, six of the first 8 rounds did not fire....thought my shoot gun wuz fugging up.....nope....all had nice little dents in the primer....still got the box with the rest of the rounds and five of the misfires....Win will get them when waterfowl season is over

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back