Milk jug challenge.

A group of my friends used to get together before deer season and do a version if this before it got Youtube famous. Our version was basically a way to know your limitations of shooting at a deer. Everyone would get a jug at 100, 200, 300, 400, etc. and you’d get one shot at three different shooting positions. Start at standing move to sitting or kneeling and then prone if you hadn’t hit it yet. This was always shot with deer rifles no target or varmint rifles. It was pretty casual but it did point out the people who knew their rifles, or at least knew how to shoot.

I haven't used milk jugs in years as I've got too much access to pretty nice ranges with good steel target options, but I'm in favor of any realistic field practice/competition.

Steel is logistically easier for regular competition, but milk jugs do have a few advantages. They're essentially free, they don't really have fire danger associated with them, and you can just set them on the landscape without needing hanging systems.

I haven't used milk jugs in years as I've got too much access to pretty nice ranges with good steel target options, but I'm in favor of any realistic field practice/competition.

Steel is logistically easier for regular competition, but milk jugs do have a few advantages. They're essentially free, they don't really have fire danger associated with them, and you can just set them on the landscape without needing hanging systems.
I have shot steel. Milk jugs positioned at various ranges whether up hill down hill or on level ground at various ranges would be a challenge. Impacts are easy to spot and set up is fast. Just pick them up when done. mtmuley

There are many variations. Basically it's shooting a milk jug at different distances. Mostly with hunting rifles and gear you would use in the field. Some timed events some not. mtmuley
This sounds like the qualifying for Southern Colorado deprevation summer elk culling.

A cold bore shot at distance would be telling. Set jugs and shoot a cold bore shot at distances until you miss. One a day even. mtmuley

One a day? The version I saw with marine Mike was 100 shots at varying distances within 600 yards.

Cold bore does seem to make more sense.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back