MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Military guy looking for advice.

rhino5326

Hey guys,

Ill start off with a quick introduction. I wasn't raised as a hunter and like many of the younger guys on here I found hunting due to youtube/ tv. I have learned everything I know via friends that hunt and through experience. I am currently in the military and have been active for 14 years now. I live in Virginia and will have to do some serious road tripping to get a hunt in. I am hoping to due a OTC colorado hunt this year IF I CAN GET TIME OFF THE WEEK BEFORE THANKSGIVING. My job keeps me very busy and I am on road/ deployed a good percentage of the year. I have a few questions for the vast wealth of knowledge/ experience on here: for the next few years while I am still active duty should I apply for as many states that I can (building points), knowing there is a slim chance I will be able to take the time off to go hunt? This would earn me some points for when I retire.. Keep in mind that I have a limited budget with my first child on the way. Is colorado the best opportunity for a late season rifle OTC hunt? I DEFINATELY have off the week of thanksgiving but if I get approval I will take off week prior. I know most states don't have a OTC season that fits these dates, but I figured Id see what the forum thinks.

I know this post should of came much earlier in the year but I was oconus and didn't know my schedule.

Also, last year was my first (unsuccessful) elk hunt and I absolutely fell in love with it. I did a 14 day backpack hunt in the backcountry of Idaho and I couldn't imagine doing another style of hunt

Thanks in advance for advice.

Attachments

• IMG_4550.jpg
    IMG_4550.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 296
Welcome. Thanks for your service. The answer to most your questions is, "Yes." With a few modifiers. If I was on a budget that only allowed to build points in a couple states, I would build for elk/deer/antelope in Wyoming. Cost is $120 per year for all three. I would build points for CO mule deer. Both these states can provide great hunts on units requiring with 2-4 points. The rest require a biggest investment in non-refundable license fees.

Good luck.

Welcome! Retired Army here. I agree with Big Fin about the point gathering and where to do it. Colorado offers a lot of OTC opportunities for elk with archery and 2nd and 3rd season rifle. Maybe you could get time off in September than in November and do an archery elk hunt while they are bugling and have better weather. There are also OTC archery antelope options too.

The last OTC rifle in colorado is two weeks before thanksgiving

unfortunately the likelihood of me getting time off in sept. is slim and none. Thanks for input though!

Welcome. Thanks for your service. The answer to most your questions is, "Yes." With a few modifiers. If I was on a budget that only allowed to build points in a couple states, I would build for elk/deer/antelope in Wyoming. Cost is $120 per year for all three. I would build points for CO mule deer. Both these states can provide great hunts on units requiring with 2-4 points. The rest require a biggest investment in non-refundable license fees.

Good luck.
Thanks for input! I think I'll focus most of my energy in to going to Montana for their late season. It'll be expensive, but I wont have another opportunity until 2018 when I'm back inconus. In addition the dates seem a little easier on my schedule.

Montana season is usually from oct 22 thru November 27th.

I am going to focus my energy on this hunt. I have started looking in to it already via gohunt/insider. The bug is planted with wife and looks to be a go! Now I just need to get my leave approved.

Thank you for your service and welcome to the site. Definitely can't add too much but just to remind you that there are some descent hunting trip opportunities in the old dominion to help hold back western hunting withdrawal symptoms. A backpack hunt in some of the wilderness areas comes to mind. It won't be like sitting along a farm field but it will have some of the challenges without the price tag or long drive. Good luck.

Great to see your enthusiasm. Thanks for your service. I was a Naval SAR and Corpsman. I hope your hunt dates work out for you. It was very difficult to get the time to hunt when I was AD so I know your struggle with that. Randy has already told you about a great long term strategy that will give you the best future opportunities. Keep us informed of how your season works out.

Hey If you in the military and can get a military school in Colorado or some other state out west (Pathfinder school). You can use your military Order to get a over the counter tag at resident price no out of state. you should look into it.

Great to see your enthusiasm. Thanks for your service. I was a Naval SAR and Corpsman. I hope your hunt dates work out for you. It was very difficult to get the time to hunt when I was AD so I know your struggle with that. Randy has already told you about a great long term strategy that will give you the best future opportunities. Keep us informed of how your season works out.

Wilco!

Hey If you in the military and can get a military school in Colorado or some other state out west (Pathfinder school). You can use your military Order to get a over the counter tag at resident price no out of state. you should look into it.

In the navy they have something called "twilight tour". Means your last tour in the military. I am trying to sell my wife on Kodiak, Ak (which she's not to keen on) or a staff job in colorado. Either place would be awesome!

Active duty here stationed in Wyoming, I highly suggest Wyo for many reasons but I'll keep it short. Here in Wyo if you draw a general tag you can use that tag in the season of your choosing and can travel to many different areas throughout the state, so it opens you up to fit the area you want to hunt that can match your schedule. I bow hunt every September and if I strike out you can apply to hunt the National Elk Refuge later, apply to hunt a private ranch through the Hunter Management Areas (HMA), or you can go through to Hunter Assistant Program and contact a landowner in person and hunt their place. Don't hesitate to ask away if want more info, good luck and thank you for your service.

Active duty here stationed in Wyoming, I highly suggest Wyo for many reasons but I'll keep it short. Here in Wyo if you draw a general tag you can use that tag in the season of your choosing and can travel to many different areas throughout the state, so it opens you up to fit the area you want to hunt that can match your schedule. I bow hunt every September and if I strike out you can apply to hunt the National Elk Refuge later, apply to hunt a private ranch through the Hunter Management Areas (HMA), or you can go through to Hunter Assistant Program and contact a landowner in person and hunt their place. Don't hesitate to ask away if want more info, good luck and thank you for your service.

My far-fetched dream would to take recruiter duty in Wyoming and set myself up for retirement. Lucky you. I appreciate the advice. One of my buddies is a biologist for the yellowstone region and when I dont have military obligations in the winter I will do a hunt with him (hopefully).

Welcome & thank you for your service.
NM has some hunts & options for military folks you could look into. On base Oryx for one.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back