Midland Arms (Parker Hale) Mauser 30-06

I have one out becoming a 35 Whelen with a 3 position safety.
Any day now the riflesmith will call....
My smith in Plains, MT built a .284 Win for me over a year ago and it exceeded my expectations. It shoots lights out with 143 grain Hammer Hunters. I went with the Gentry 3 position safety.

It told me the same thing.
Perfectenschlag Life Is Good GIF - Perfectenschlag Perfect Life Is Good GIFs

Gents, this is what I'm thinking for this rifle...

Send the barrel off to JES like T Bone was gonna do and have it rebored to 35 Whelen. I had Jesse at JES rebore my grandad's old Win Model 70 in 7 Mag to 338 Win Mag and it's a shooter. Before the rebore job the throat had worn out and I was losing a lot of velocity. Since it is sentimental, I didn't want to scrap the barrel.
The Timney Featherweight T Bone suggested
Reshaping the forend to a schnabel style, which will necessitate restaining and sealing the stock
Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad (Old English Style in Brown)
Bed and free float the barrel
Jewel the bolt
Replace the current bolt handle with a Holland bh (I put one on my GEW 98 .284 Win and they look awesome on Mausers)
Leupold 3x-vi 2.5-8x36
98 Mauser Talley low rings and bases (lapped)
and of course, it will wear a Montana sling

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Gents, this is what I'm thinking for this rifle...

Send the barrel off to JES like T Bone was gonna do and have it rebored to 35 Whelen. I had Jesse at JES rebore my grandad's old Win Model 70 in 7 Mag to 338 Win Mag and it's a shooter. Before the rebore job the throat had worn out and I was losing a lot of velocity. Since it is sentimental, I didn't want to scrap the barrel.
The Timney Featherweight T Bone suggested
Reshaping the forend to a schnabel style, which will necessitate restaining and sealing the stock
Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad (Old English Style in Brown)
Bed and free float the barrel
Holland bolt handle (I put one on my GEW 98 .284 Win and they look awesome on Mausers)
Leupold 3x-vi 2.5-8x36
98 Mauser Talley low rings and bases (lapped)
and of course, it will wear a Montana sling

What do you guys think?

Two things:
Leupold Vx3hd 1.5x5 with the German reticle for the scope.

Call this guy about your stock: https://www.rjrenner.com/pre-war-77.html

I sent him a bone stock Ruger M77 Mkii in '06 and he sent me back a pre-war mauser w/ Oberndorft panels, barrel stud & ramped front sight.

1689257832078.png

Two things:
Leupold Vx3hd 1.5x5 with the German reticle for the scope.

Call this guy about your stock: https://www.rjrenner.com/pre-war-77.html

I sent him a bone stock Ruger M77 Mkii in '06 and he sent me back a pre-war mauser w/ Oberndorft panels, barrel stud & ramped front sight.

View attachment 283884
Thanks for the advice, Ben! That looks awesome btw. The Oberndorf style is very cool. What grain Barnes TTSX are you shooting? I was thinking of trying some 200 grain Hammers once it's finished.

Here's my Whelen:
98 Mauser w/ a Douglass Air-Gauged XX bbl, butterknife bolt handle & double set triggers in a Mauser Model B stock. It had an old Balvar 2.5x8 on it and honestly, I think it's a bit much scope. The 1.5x5 is perfect. The drop in comb is enough to shake your eyeballs with hot loads.

1689258267506.png

Thanks for the advice, Ben! That looks awesome btw. The Oberndorf style is very cool. What grain Barnes TTSX are you shooting? I was thinking of trying some 200 grain Hammers once it's finished.

That's a 30-06, so they're 165 grain TTSX's. I'm having no luck with the 225 grain Barnes TSX in the Whelen barrel though, so I'm sticking with the 250 grain Hornady round nose until I pull the trigger on some Hammers.
I'd stay within the 225 grain range for the Whelen. You should be able to hit around 2600-2700 FPS easily with them. My rifle loves RL17.

That's a 30-06, so they're 165 grain TTSX's. I'm having no luck with the 225 grain Barnes TSX in the Whelen barrel though, so I'm sticking with the 250 grain Hornady round nose until I pull the trigger on some Hammers.
I'd stay within the 225 grain range for the Whelen. You should be able to hit around 2600-2700 FPS easily with them. My rifle loves RL17.
Gotcha, what twist is that Douglas barrel? I wish there were more Accubonds available. I think the 225 Accubond would be great.

It's a 26" 1:12, if I remember correctly.

You may want to think about an Ackley Improved case since you're reboring. I know that @Bambistew has a 35 Whelen-Brown that is pretty sweet as well.

It's a 26" 1:12, if I remember correctly.

You may want to think about an Ackley Improved case since you're reboring. I know that @Bambistew has a 35 Whelen-Brown that is pretty sweet as well.
I've thought about the Ackley Improved version, but from what I've read the velocity gain is minimal. I'll have to research that some more. The guy who runs the site ballisticstudies.com speaks very highly of the Improved version. Dunno anything about the Brown version.

I don't think you gain much performance wise, but case life and a more positive headspace seem to be the primary factors for doing so.

You don't need to push a 35 into hyperspace. A large projectile at a medium velocity is my preferred hunting cartridge. Massive energy dump w/o all the hydrostatic shock and lost meat (Don't tell my 7mm Mauser AI I said that though).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back