Mid-day Archery Elk advice

Muskeez

After my first elk hunt last September, I am reflecting on what I learned and what I need to learn. Of course the most obvious point is we will probably never know enough about these magnificent animals. One pattern we noticed in the area we hunted was that the bulls would be down lower in the creek bottoms at night and early AM, then they would climb the mountain after sunrise and stay high until sunset or after sunset. Can any of you guys/gals give me any advise on how to hunt them in the mid-day when they are up high and likely bedded? Or do you not hunt them at all then. I liked a rest for an hour but not for 6 hours+. Also, since they are headed up each morning, do you get up the mountain in the dark and try to beat them to the top, or do you follow them up as they go? I'm guessing the thermals really mess things up if you get above them too early? Thanks for any general advice!!

Certainly a lot of it depends on your terrain and general timing of their movement to bed. Ambushing them on their way to bed is a good tactic if you can get ahead of them and get yourself set up on their trail if the terrain and wind is right.

If you want to go after them in their beds I like to let them get there and get comfortable. In general you don't want them going there feeling pressured as they may go further or just be on alert more.

It should be stated that if you bust them in their beds, it is likely you will significantly disrupt their patterns. So there is a trade off of tying to catch them in the mornings/evenings on their patterns or going for broke and trying to bust them in the bedroom.

If you are comfortable with the wind and that it isn't going to change on you I say go for it if you are a couple day into your hunt. The key is to just take it slow, then slow down, wait, slow your pace again then finally go slower. If you are going in, there are plenty of eyes looking for you. They aren't interrupted by putting their heads down and feeding. You absolutely must spot them before they spot you. Moving at a glacial pace and glassing extensively, is key. Seeing that ear twitch early on is key, because once you found one, you need to find the rest and figure out if you can get to the bull.

If your quiet and keep the wind right you can attempt to get within bow range of the bedded herd, then stick the bull when he makes his rounds checking cows. They mill around quite a bit. The one elk you don't see can ruin it pretty quickly though.

Bedded bulls will also bugle (say that three times fast) and give their location up for you to stalk them. You can brush in a blind at a wallow near where they bed and catch them mid day as well.

Some great advice/tips so far! I have a similar situation Muskeez. I am a total rookie when it comes to Elk but I would say always try to be above them in the a.m.. I have had a lot of failed pursuits due to me following them up and remaining at their level rather than getting above them and cutting them off while they work their way to a drainage or bedding area. It seems that being on top of them makes stalks and everything else "easier" (if there is such a thing). I have had success having my buddy down along the creek calling early in the a.m. as the sun is coming up and locating a bull while I am silent up on top. Once he located him he slowly made his way towards him and followed him up. While he kept the bull talking I was able to pinpoint exactly where he was headed from up above him. I ended up missing him of course but everything else worked out perfect ha! There are a lot of great guys on here who definitely know there stuff so I'm sure you will get some great advice! Good luck next year!

I prefer to let them be when there bedded. I have a hard time leaving them alone as well but I'd say unless your very experienced still hunting them with a bow, the chance for success is very very low.

I prefer to get with in a quarter mile maybe a little farther and wait them out. Around 11 a lot of times they will get up and bugle a bit. Also the satellites are always skirting the herd and talking so you may luck into one of them.

In the area I hunt the wind is usually going down hill until 10 am and waiting up top for them can be tricky.

If you have the time aloud in your hunt, wait for the perfect opportunities and dont push things. Once you get that perfect opportunity, capitalize on it immediately. That was some of the best advice I've gotten in regards to hunting elk with a bow, and it helped me kill my first bull this year.

I snuck up on 4 in their beds this year, all within 25 yards. Spent one hour with one, then went up the hill and spent the next 2 hours less than 25 yards from the other. He bugled every few minutes till he walked away shortly after 11 am. Shot the 4th one at 12 noon at 15 yards. Had they given any consideration to bugling, raking, cow calls, or praying I would have preferred to use one of those methods, but they didn't.

Last edited:
If your quiet and keep the wind right you can attempt to get within bow range of the bedded herd, then stick the bull when he makes his rounds checking cows. They mill around quite a bit. The one elk you don't see can ruin it pretty quickly though.

Bedded bulls will also bugle (say that three times fast) and give their location up for you to stalk them. You can brush in a blind at a wallow near where they bed and catch them mid day as well.

This was my MO when I killed my Tule bull. Those elk would bed down out in the desert where they could see for a long ways. My bull's harem had moved to an opening near the river in the afternoon, and I was able to call some cows out and he followed.

Granted I spotted his antlers and a few cows and set up down wind.

I've never had good luck still hunting bedded elk in thick cover though.

All of the opinions you received will work in one situation or another. The hard part is getting your gut to tell you what to do in each situation.

This has always been a tuffy for me also. I've bumped my fair share of elk during the day. I've found with the area I hunt it's not worth the chance of bumping them during the day bacause you'll never see 'em again.

If it's a rutty time of year they usually get a little hit of testosterone in the afternoon and like to bugle regularly for an hour or two and then seem to shut up until the last hour of light. If I'm hunting mid-day I like to still stalk very quietly and sporadically cow call. If your going to call though I'd move even slower.

This has always been a tuffy for me also. I've bumped my fair share of elk during the day. I've found with the area I hunt it's not worth the chance of bumping them during the day bacause you'll never see 'em again.

Same with my area. I know guys who do it and are dam good at it. Me, well Ive spooked them and never seen them again. I know the area well and know where they feed, where they bed, and where there going to be after there done bedding so its worth the wait. If a bulls hot ill dive in on him, but if hes silent ill wait em out.

Just curious. Has anyone ever killed an elk mid day in it's bed? Personally, I have stalked within bow range of exactly zero bedded elk. I know Big Fin has done it with the use of a cliff, but what about in the timber?

I'm sure it has been done quite a bit, but if I have the time, it seems beneficial to leave them alone while they're bedded, at least when in heavy timber.

Just curious. Has anyone ever killed an elk mid day in it's bed? Personally, I have stalked within bow range of exactly zero bedded elk. I know Big Fin has done it with the use of a cliff, but what about in the timber?

I'm sure it has been done quite a bit, but if I have the time, it seems beneficial to leave them alone while they're bedded, at least when in heavy timber.

I know quite a few people who have done it with rifle but only one person whose done it with a bow, and hes done it a few times. There is a huge difference between doing it with a bow and rifle IMO though. The guys I know who do it with a rifle are typically cuttin tracks in the snow and follow them into the dark timber.

I Stalked to 30 Yards on a bull that was ASLEEP in his bed at 11 am.

When he awoke, He LEVITATED another 30 yards through a brushy creek before he landed on his feet and stared at me.

The most awe inspiring exhibition of elk agility I have ever seen, and I'm glad I was able to experience it.

I realize many elk get killed in the thick stuff, and snow changes everything as far as stalking. I'm referring to midday archery season, with no snow. I've been in archery range a number of times in the thick stuff, just not when they're bedded, to me it just seems like to much to risk, and worth waiting till the evening.

What about this option: Since we are backpack hunting and staying in for 7 days. Would it make sense to camp up high? and be where they are for more hours of the day?

I like to set up camp right next to wallows...water always seems to taste better

What about this option: Since we are backpack hunting and staying in for 7 days. Would it make sense to camp up high? and be where they are for more hours of the day?

I would say it depends. How far would you be from water up on the hill? How much easier/harder would it be to get to a point to ambush them? How much do you think the commute from your camp to your main hunting spot is a negative or positive factor.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back