Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Michael's Javelina

Calif. Hunter

I took my 11-year old son, Michael, to a freind's ranch near Silver City, New Mexico fro his first big game hunt. The quarry was small - javelina - but the largest game animal Michael had gone after so far. He had practiced shooting my CZ 527 .223 off the shooting sticks and was able to hold a 2-inch or smaller group standing. I loaded him up ammo with the 55 gr Hornady bulet with the cannelure to use.

We (myself, Michael, a friend and his daughter) hit the dirt road to Wayne's ranch after a 10 or 11 hour drive, at about 4:00 in the afternoon, met up with Wayne and decided to go ahead and see if we could spot any. While driving in, we spotted a lone javelina trotting up a hill, following a herd of antelope. Deciding that the peccary would probaly just go over the hill into the next canyon and then slow down or stop, we bailed out and headed up the hill after him. Halfway up the hill, I spotted a few javelina back down the hill about 100 yards in front of where we had parked the trucks, and decided that being more numerous and easily visible, we'd go after them.

In order to make the stalk more effective, we decided to let Wayne take Michael on the stalk while the rest of use stayed up the hill and observed. Before they started, I reminded Michael to take his time and pick a spot on the javelina to aim at, just behind its shoulder.

They stalked into about 75 yards from the browsing javelina and picked out the biggest one they could see. Michael took careful aim and made a perfect heart/lung shot. The javelina ran about 20-30 feet and fell over dead.

A very happy boy, and one very proud father!

Attachments

• Javelina stalk 1.jpg
    Javelina stalk 1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 307
We spotted one javelina near some cattle about a half mile away the next morning, and we went after that one. As we got closer, we saw that there was a group of about 8 or 10 digging up the roots of the prickly pear cactus. After all the rain the few days prior, the ground was soft. I had elected to let the other guy shoot first, as he had never shot a javelina before. (He was a friend of a friend, and my friend decided not to go. Let me say that I will never do that again....I will not post details or names, but never again will I hunt with someone I do not know.) Suffice to say, that I was lucky to bag one from that group.

Congrats to Michael and you. Great work to get him out there hunting. Just the beginning of some great time ahead.

Here's another picture of Michael and his javelina -

44_Michael_Javelina2_2.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back