MeatEater's Adobada braised shanks

Jmnhunter

Made this yesterday for dinner, word of caution, if you have some in the family that do not like spicy foods, you should dummy down the peppers!
My 5 year old took a bite of which I thought I pulled meat from the inner portions of the shank away from the braising liquids, but he instantly spit it out and started to whine on how spicy it was..

all in all the meat was very tender and very good (i can handle some spice although it did make me chug some water); I just need to find the right peppers vs the hot ones I used...

That's one of my all-time favorite dishes to make, so good!

Did you use the peppers in the recipe--and if so, was it still really spicy?

Reason i had to use the hot ones is the local grocery store didnt have the ones listed in the recipe..

Haven’t made it yet but was wondering the same thing, where do you find those peppers or what is a good alternative.

I'm thinking cut out all of that work with the peppers and use canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. They are stocked in the Mexican section of the grocery store by the salsa and refried beans.

Reason i had to use the hot ones is the local grocery store didnt have the ones listed in the recipe..

Yeah, I made it per recipe the first time. The sauce has a smoky flavor with a bit of spicyness, but not too bad, I used the leftover to make enchilada sauce a few days later.

I'm thinking cut out all of that work with the peppers and use canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. They are stocked in the Mexican section of the grocery store by the salsa and refried beans.

You'll be missing some depth in the sauce if you do that, and I bet it would be much spicier. You can order dried peppers online too if your grocery store doesn't have them...

I used the peppers in the recipe and it wasn't very spicy.

Haven’t made it yet but was wondering the same thing, where do you find those peppers or what is a good alternative.
I bought mine at my local Mexican mart. A couple guys hanging out in there looked at me funny and I had to ask for help.

I bought mine at my local Mexican mart. A couple guys hanging out in there looked at me funny and I had to ask for help.
Thanks, I’ll have to look around a little more. Currently, I don’t have any shanks in my freezer but I bet it’d still be good with any big game meat.

Thanks, I’ll have to look around a little more. Currently, I don’t have any shanks in my freezer but I bet it’d still be good with any big game meat.
I'm sure it would be but it will melt the tendons in the shanks. When I made it, all that was left of the tendons were a few fatty looking pieces.

I’ve got some shanks marinating in the sauce overnight right now. Now I can’t wait to try this stuff tomorrow.

I used the same thing in the chilli recipe and it turned out great. Used half a can in a big pot but could’ve done more if people aren’t finicky about spices. The remaining can was mixed with water and added into jerky marinade. Came out good.

The braised shanks is probably the next thing I’ll try from their book.

Made this today with deer neck roast, followed the recipe exactly and it was awesome! Made 4 cups and used 2 cups in the crockpot, might use the leftover for wing sauce or enchilada sauce.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back