MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

meat hauling day pack?

lifesupport4u

I am looking for ideas on a good meat hauling day pack.... I know bigfin likes the Mystery Ranch packs... but I don't have a budget for that. They just look too rich for my blood at this point. I would like to stay under $300.

I want a pack that will haul my oversized spotter (85mm Vortex) and tripod. As well as the usual supplies... layers, emergency supplies, knife, bone saw, game bags, food, lots of water, etc.

I would like a pack that will also be able to haul out a quarter.

Most of the packs I have found really are not suited to convert to a meat hauling pack. I am also considering dropping down to a smaller spotting scope.

I am fine with just getting one quarter out with it and then switching over to my frame pack for the rest of the haul. It will not serve as my main hauling pack...

Any suggestions are great! I would like to hike a bit further and deeper in this year than previously. I think a good pack will be essential.

Thanks

IMO I'd look for a used MR pack or save up a bit more, I love my MR. But if not maybe a horn hunter or something similar would work?

Keep your eyes open and you should be able to find a used Mystery Ranch Longbow for ~$300. Otherwise, you can stay well under your budget with a Badlands...not as good as an MR, but I used one for years before upgrading and you can pack out a whole boned out muley with one.

I'd look at badlands 2200 used or new. They're definitely not as light as a KUIU 3200 which I replaced my 2200 with.

I used a Badlands 2200 for years and it is still in use by my son. Definitely worked for our uses. Now....that said, I upgraded to an Exo 3500 a couple of years ago. The difference is night and day. Extremely comfortable for all day use, but when it was loaded with elk quarters or mule deer, it was an entirely different piece of equipment. It was so comfortable and I found that I could handle significantly heavier loads with ease. Now...my ability to handle the weight is different, but it was far more comfortable than with my old standby Badlands.

I just received my new 2017 Exo 3500 and have sold my Gen 1 pack to another lucky hunter. They are quite a bit higher than your budget new, but I sold my Gen 1 pack for $375 and they can still be found for similar money. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good high quality pack like an MR, Kifaru, Stone Glacier or EXO on the used market though. You will find similar results to what I have experienced I am sure.

Good luck and enjoy the search.

FH

Im using the kuiu icon pro with the fiber frame,,very light,bag size is changeable from 1850,3200,5200 ci,,,it wiil dig in if you have a 100 lb elk qtr on it,but it will pack it out,,,its a little over 300 I believe,,was impressed that the frame held up a elk qtr.

I havr a horn hunter pack. With the small bag its ok as a day pack but it is a bit heavy. I'm pleased with it especially for the price. Im sure there's something better and lighter but it likely costs more.

Look for a used pack. There are some Stone Glaciers with the Crux frame coming on the market now that their new frame is out. They are a great pack. There are a handful of other brands, too, that you'd be happy with. I like to keep things light, personally. The best part about getting a GOOD used pack is that they won't lose much value if you decide it's not for you. You'll take a kicking when you buy a mediocre pack, new, and decide to sell down the road.

I have used an Eberlestock X2 for several years now. It has done exactly what you want, carries all my gear and then has hauled our elk quarters or quartered up deer. Then I will grab a larger pack for the bigger hauls.

I have a badlands 2200 that I currently use. I also have a Alps freighter pack with a 5000 cubic inch bag that detaches from the frame. I was thinking of upgrading the badlands but with the built in meat hauler I can bring out a quarter and then switch to the alps pack with the frame with meat shelf that will stay at camp to pack the rest out, so I have decided to upgrade other geat right now. The badlands works well enough to get a quarter out so you are not making a trip out empty. I'm sure there are better ways but I think it will work for me for now so I can upgrade othe gear, kinda think it might be the best of both worlds.

I m using a Slumber Jack Rail Hauler 2500 frame and pack. Its a full frame pack that is ultra compact and has a 2500 cubic inch bag that comes with it. I was able to get it on sale at Bob Wards for 1/3 the price new. I love it best of both worlds. I would look at Slumber Jack and also check out Bob Wards they have an online store with free shipping some excellent deals to be had there.

I would look at the Eberlestock X2. It's not as nice as the Mystery Ranch bags, but it is bomber and definitely capable of hauling out an elk quarter. I've found it to be a good size for a day pack as long as you don't bring the kitchen sink. Its also got really long side pockets that I'm sure will fit a spotter.

Packs are a long term investment IMO. And as such, if you don't get what you really want you'll end up spending more in the long run. The first "big ticket" item I bought was a hunting backpack. That was 15yrs ago and I'm still using the pack with no complaints. You won't notice the price difference a couple of months later... :D

I'd include Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Seeksoutside in your research. I would also not shy away from a used pack from any of those makers as well as MR.

If you go with an X2, load it down and walk around with it before you shell out any money for it. I had one and, for me, it was the worst pack I have ever owned. The waist belt rubbed the front of my hips completely raw and the frame left big bruises on each side of my back. I took one western hunting trip with it and gave it away so I didn't ever have to look at the thing again. I MUCH prefer the Blacks Creek Western for a cheap daypack. I still think the best bet is to get a used pack of higher quality.

I have the X2 and am happy with it just need to send in to repair a side zipper. I was real close to buying the Eberlestock Team Elk the other day wanting a quality pack with a bit more room but decided to wait till I did a bit more research on this pack. Seems like a good pack not to big or to small. Any one have any honest reviews of the Team Elk pack?

I have a tenzing 2200 that, in a pinch, can haul some meat out on the first trip... It is not ideal, and pretty uncomfortable, but meets the requirements of the OP.

I plan on getting rid of it and jumping to an exo this year...

I have the Eberlestock Just One pack and have been happy with it. I packed out my elk with it the past season, which was an overnight pack in trip. It has lots of space yet can be made quite compact if you don't have it loaded up.

I have seen many mention the X2 from Eberlestock. This is also a good pack, I had one and returned it for the Just One. the problem I had with the X2 is the harness part of the pack is not adjustable and being 6'4" I need a lot of distance between the shoulder harness and the belt around my waist. The Just one is adjustable in this way so it was an easy choice for me.

The Horn Hunter Full Curl (Just the Frame) would be great for what you are looking for. https://hornhunterpacks.com/product/full-curl-frame-only/

I had one for several years and the inside of the bat wings have spotting scope pockets. It makes a great day pack and hauls meat well too. Its only $220 for the frame, make sure you buy the newest model with the adjustable torso. You can add a duffle bag or dry bag for more gear if needed. The pack says 600 ci but with the pockets and the bladder pouch you can get alot in there. For an extra $50 you can add their combo bag too for extra room. Personally i think a dry bag is just fine for a camp or whatever you want to take extra. I have hundreds of miles with this exact pack hauling lots of weight. I went from several different sitka packs, to both a sitka and a pack frame to the horn hunter and was very happy. It is not as comfortable as my Sitka packs but it hauls weight way better, both of my sitka packs sucked with more than 50lbs. I have since switched to a Kifaru Duplex with a Nomad or KUIU Icon Pro bag.

If i were to do it over again i would have just bought a Kifaru frame and used a cheap bag until i could afford a better one. You can find used Kifaru frames for under $300 all the time buy a frame and an field repair kit and you can put just about any bag you can imagine on the frame. The older Kifaru Timberline or Longhunters can be found for under $300 from time to time and are awesome if you don't mind hauling meat inside the bag. I would keep an eye on Rokslides classifieds and ebay and wait for a good deal, this would be a good setup if it goes cheap enough. http://www.ebay.com/itm/kifaru-biki...556465?hash=item3d36bffb71:g:7AoAAOSw2gxY2FGw

Horn Hunter System (Sold this pack after this trip) Second picture has my kids packs tied to it also after a couple days in the back county.
IMG_6967.JPGIMG_7007.JPG

Horn Hunter Frame Only (used it as a daypack like this with only lunch, water and kill kit)
IMG_1215.JPGIMG_1219.JPG

Kifaru UL with Nomad Bag (This is how i would run the full curl frame normally) Third picture is how much crap you can pack in a 50L dry bag and daypack together, the Nomad is really similar to the Horn Hunter Bat wings.
IMG_8105.JPGIMG_8158.JPGIMG_8616.JPG

Kifaru Frame with KUIU Icon 1850 Bag (this is what you could build for around $300 if you buy used a piece it together)
IMG_9487.JPG

Kifaru Timberline 2 built in frame (bought and sold for around $300 on ebay) This was a very nice pack but you have to pack the meat inside which i don't like. Thought it was a DT2 when i bought it.
IMG_7494.JPGIMG_7478.JPG

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back