Mauser problem???

Foxtrot1

Stumped on this one. Maybe one of you guys can offer some help.

Recently purchased a zastava m70 30-06. In theory, the European version of an interarms mark X. Gun was used from GB. Came with double set triggers. When it came in I noticed it was hard to close the bolt. Had to really push bolt forward to get it lock into battery. Also some genius had been beating on the trigger assembly. If the trigger was depressed while closing, the gun locks up easily. Figured it was a cocking piece/trigger sear mating issue. Tried an old military trigger. Seemed to work.
So I ordered a timney trigger with safety to replace factory trigger. Came in today. Not even close to mating up. You'd have to remove 1/8" from the cocking piece for it to match up with trigger sear. I'd expect to have to polish some, but this is excessive. Upon inspection, it looks like the bolt isnt cocking all the way. Theres a strange "shelf" in the bolt sleeve. I pulled a bolt off a mark X and the cuts on the sleeve are shaped different. No sign the zastava has been modified. If done by someone at home, they blued after grinding. The mark X is cocked farther back. If I put the mark X bolt in the M70, it lines up with the trigger sear. Triple checking to make sure the shroud and firing pin are screwed in all the way, it is in contact with the bolt.

Any idea what's going on? Need a new bolt sleeve or cocking piece?20200504_140630.jpg
Interarms bolt on left, m70 on right
20200504_140720.jpg
Close up of m70 bolt
20200504_152007.jpg20200504_151931.jpg20200504_160324.jpg

If you have a set of calipers, with the bolt in the cocked position, measure from the backside of the lugs to the sear engagement surface on both bolts and compare. It sounds like you're shy of hitting the cams on the lugs in the receiver. With the bolts being different design its going to be hard to tell what part is out of spec, only that it is, in fact, too short. You may be able to reach out to Zastava and get measurements from them. That step in the bolt body looks like it was meant to be there as the cocking piece is longer on the m70. I suspect it was out of spec from the factory (hammer marks).

Let me make sure I'm understanding you. You close your bolt. The sear meets the engagement surface on the cocking piece, but you're 1/8 inch from being able to rotate the bolt so it's in battery. Is that right?

I agree with you that removing material from the cocking piece is a bad idea, since it's a surface hardened part. I would try swapping the cocking piece from the mark x into the M70 to see if it fixed it.

Also, if I ordered a rifle and it arrived wit a malfunctioning trigger, I'd have sent it back, especially if I paid a premium for a double set trigger and was now faced with replacing it with a single trigger at my own expense. Doesn't really make sense.

Sounds like someone has swapped out and passed off the wrong parts. Your cocking piece should, I believe, be solid along the bottom with no notch. My FN has a solid one and the pictures of M70 cocking pieces on the internet show a solid bottom. There are quite a number of variations of cocking pieces so far as configuration and length are concerned. Shrouds are interchangeable but cocking pieces are not necessarily so. Certain combinations will make the safety ineffective also. Have you checked the bolt body and any other parts for matching numbers? I can put you in touch with a very knowledgeable Mauser smith in SC if needs be.

This is the bolt for my FN.003.JPG

Last edited:
Let me make sure I'm understanding you. You close your bolt. The sear meets the engagement surface on the cocking piece, but you're 1/8 inch from being able to rotate the bolt so it's in battery. Is that right?

I agree with you that removing material from the cocking piece is a bad idea, since it's a surface hardened part. I would try swapping the cocking piece from the mark x into the M70 to see if it fixed it.

Also, if I ordered a rifle and it arrived wit a malfunctioning trigger, I'd have sent it back, especially if I paid a premium for a double set trigger and was now faced with replacing it with a single trigger at my own expense. Doesn't really make sense.

I agree. I bought the rifle from GB "as is". Importer had truck loads of them, I am assuming from Europe. Bought the rifle for a donor for a barreled action. I discussed problem with seller, but ultimately was told "good luck", even though rifle was sold as in good condition.

When closing the bolt with the timney on it, it will not lock into battery. It was really hard to lock into battery with the factory double trigger. You had to forcefully push bolt forward while camming the bolt to get it to lock into place. I'll take a picture tonight when I get in to show the position of the cocking piece in the sear slot.

I did have an epiphany of using the mark X firing pin/cocking piece/shroud on the M70 bolt, but it didn't want to thread properly. I didn't want to force it and gave up after a couple of attempts.

The rifle has not been shot much, there's still blueing on all the wear points on the bolt parts and the bore is mint. I originally blamed the double triggers, but am leaning toward the cocking piece being the issue. I can't tell if it's original. The bolt matches the receiver, but the small parts aren't numbered where I can see them.

Broke down and talked to Zastava USA's customer service. I did not expect this to be a warranty due to the rifles age. After some back and forth emails and sending a video of the rifle action closing their smith determined it was a timing issue with the bolt. Asked me to mail the bolt in to them and it would be repaired in a couple of days. I have not dealt with many firearms manufacturers, but I have to say they really stepped up to the plate to help me and were very courteous the whole time.

Thanks for all your ideas, this one was definitely stumping me.

Broke down and talked to Zastava USA's customer service. I did not expect this to be a warranty due to the rifles age. After some back and forth emails and sending a video of the rifle action closing their smith determined it was a timing issue with the bolt. Asked me to mail the bolt in to them and it would be repaired in a couple of days. I have not dealt with many firearms manufacturers, but I have to say they really stepped up to the plate to help me and were very courteous the whole time.

Make sure you check you headspace when you get the bolt back, in case they replace it outright.

Waiting to hear what answer you get back. It looks to me like someone has modded the rear of the bolt face.

Interarms is not the manufacturer of the Mark X.
They are just the importer.
From Europe.
Whitworth in England was the manufacturer, though more of an assembler.
I believe the actions are actually from FN Herstal.

Interarms is not the manufacturer of the Mark X.
They are just the importer.
From Europe.
Whitworth in England was the manufacturer, though more of an assembler.
I believe the actions are actually from FN Herstal.
You are correct Interarms was an importer.

Zastava was the manufacturer for the actions and most barrels. My mark x has their logo on the reciever.

Whitworth finished the metal and stocked them on the models marked as such, but zastava produced actions.

I have heard zastava acquired FNs machinery for manufacturing their 98 actions when FN ceased production. Dont know if it was true.

FN Herstal is still operating.
If you find a Daumolin (probably spelled incorrectly) action, they are partnered with Herstal. Or a division of.

I just received an email from Zastava customer service. The bolt is repaired. Their smith did find the cocking piece was contacting the sear early, causing the bolt to be hard to close. That was on their test rifle. It's repaired and on it's way back to me, finger's crossed that's it. Their smith did not say if he replaced the cocking piece or modified mine. Overall, I don't think it was a hard repair, but I am glad someone qualified worked on a critical part that's hardened.

I can't over state how impressed I have been dealing with them. A 1 week turn around on a rifle repair that they could have easily brushed off as not a warranty issue. When I am in the market for any more mauser builds, I will definitely look at their products again.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back