Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

matte finish

lanetaxidermy

Thinking of changing the look of my remington 700 from a blued barrel and wood stock ,to a matte finish and synthetic stock. Has anyone done this and are u happy with the results?

I don't care for matte finishes. They seem to hold water and rust easier. Just my observations.

To qualify some of belly-deeps post, I think it determines on how you change the finish. A cerrakote matte finish will, by all accounts, make a blued steel rifle more rust resistant. Just bead blasting the rifle and then rebluing it will probably end with more rust issues.

That said, I'd happily use a matte coating (like one of the 'wonder' finishes such as cerrakote or black ice) on a blued rifle and swap out the stocks.

I have a remington 700 sendero and that is basically what you are talking about only mine has a heavy barrel. I am very happy with mine. It is not as pretty as the wood and shiny bluing but is very functional. On a sunny day you can see a shiny blued barrel a mile away. The factory matte finish is a rougher finish and holds water longer so it does seem to rust easier, but I always wipe it down after a wet day. I don't know about the camo dipping on a rifle, but on my PSE bow it has been very durable.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back