Mannlicher-Schoenaurer

well, I'm not a collector, that's for sure, so why do I prefer older, vs. new?

1. Because, they might be better made. That's not a given, but you know how folks fawn over "pre '64" Winchesters. Well, they don't make new doubles like pre WWI, and new Winchester 1885s aren't. Aren't even 1885s, under their ugly skins.
2. Because, there are lots of varieties of old guns that just are not made anymore. If you rule out the old guns, you void some pretty cool models and maybe avoid some pretty unnecessary and unsightly features (can you say "Marlin crossbolt safety"?
3. Because, old guns are finished with varnish and oils and things that are warm and sensuous to the touch. Not plastic-coated polyurethane, OR WORSE (we don't even want to contemplate going there).
4. Because, most of all, they just might have a soul, some history, and interesting gouge to speculate came at the end of a long fall while scrambling after something that just disappeared over the ridge, but didn't get away in the end. Or maybe, just dropped by a 9 yr old shooting his first "big gun", or who knows? Not me. But I can wonder.
5. Because like other old stuff, it tends to hold its value much better and longer. It may even accrue value, but I do not recommend that you buy a gun as a retirement investment, vs a retirement treat.
6. Because it is so much more fun to hunt to gun shops in small towns you have never been to, or peruse internet pages when you should be grading an exam, or skimming an estate auction or leafing through an uppish-scale auction house catalog, than looking at the modern websites and new-only racks at the "big box" stores like "Sportster's Wearhouse" (sic). You can never discover treasure in a place where everything comes in shrink wrap, and who doesn't want at least the chance of discovering treasure.
7. Because - I don't know - because it's fun to learn about what was (and still is, if you look).
8. Because, it's a chance to walk off the recently beaten path and trace the faint, but still visible path that someone beat down long ago.
9. Because, it sometimes is fun to drive people nuts on the internet, or to prod their curiosities at the rifle range.
9. Because, ,,, I reserve the right to expand up on this list without warning as other subliminal rationales become liminal to me.
I like number 4

well, I'm not a collector, that's for sure, so why do I prefer older, vs. new?

1. Because, they might be better made. That's not a given, but you know how folks fawn over "pre '64" Winchesters. Well, they don't make new doubles like pre WWI, and new Winchester 1885s aren't. Aren't even 1885s, under their ugly skins.
2. Because, there are lots of varieties of old guns that just are not made anymore. If you rule out the old guns, you void some pretty cool models and maybe avoid some pretty unnecessary and unsightly features (can you say "Marlin crossbolt safety"?
3. Because, old guns are finished with varnish and oils and things that are warm and sensuous to the touch. Not plastic-coated polyurethane, OR WORSE (we don't even want to contemplate going there).
4. Because, most of all, they just might have a soul, some history, and interesting gouge to speculate came at the end of a long fall while scrambling after something that just disappeared over the ridge, but didn't get away in the end. Or maybe, just dropped by a 9 yr old shooting his first "big gun", or who knows? Not me. But I can wonder.
5. Because like other old stuff, it tends to hold its value much better and longer. It may even accrue value, but I do not recommend that you buy a gun as a retirement investment, vs a retirement treat.
6. Because it is so much more fun to hunt to gun shops in small towns you have never been to, or peruse internet pages when you should be grading an exam, or skimming an estate auction or leafing through an uppish-scale auction house catalog, than looking at the modern websites and new-only racks at the "big box" stores like "Sportster's Wearhouse" (sic). You can never discover treasure in a place where everything comes in shrink wrap, and who doesn't want at least the chance of discovering treasure.
7. Because - I don't know - because it's fun to learn about what was (and still is, if you look).
8. Because, it's a chance to walk off the recently beaten path and trace the faint, but still visible path that someone beat down long ago.
9. Because, it sometimes is fun to drive people nuts on the internet, or to prod their curiosities at the rifle range.
9. Because, ,,, I reserve the right to expand up on this list without warning as other subliminal rationales become liminal to me.

Brent, you should have ask her if she likes the original 71 or the one Browning made ;)

good post Brent, and I agree with Carl 9.3 x62. My grandfather bought a gun once that had a ledger in the case with the animals the gun had taken, dates, etc.

Randi,
I have a journal for each of my guns - well most of them anyway. Same thing, a full history, loads and bullets that I made and tested for it, performances at different distances, etc. Guns have histories, much of which will remain lost and unknown, but some of them have a little more - like grandpa and the grand uncles' 97 Winchester that came with all the old Montana licenses from 1917 onwards stuffed under the buttplate. I posted those in another thread recently.

ALWAYS pull the buttplate and check on a "new" old gun. There can be treasure there. If there isn't add some for the next caretaker.

Just whilst we wait for @Europe to reply to my post here is a photo of my friends son taken on the estate he recently worked on, living the dream as they say.
I can see why Europe's friend fell in love with Scotland
No many estates still use horses these days, nice to see a Scottish tradition still being upheld.
Tom arthurs.jpg

I had to go back and read the thread to see what you thought the forum members were waiting on. I can only assume you want to know where he hunted in Scotland. To my knowledge he has not and of course one does not need to hunt Scotland to like and enjoy Scotland, nor did I say he has. If your referring to my first post about not being able to hunt Scotland, again I didn't say he had, but was trying to remember any negatives associated with the 6.5 x 54 and said "from memory" it did not reach the minimum requirements, which you have explained that it will. If your talking about your finding 6 --6.5 x 54's, I told you I would tell him and I have. I see by your one post you apparently felt slighted by my not saying "thank you". Thank you for correcting my bad memory on th 6.5 x 54 being able to hunt Scotland, thank you for finding the 6 rifles that might work, thank you for offering to meet him if he lived in the U.K., thank you for offering to see if he had hunted the same estate where your friend worked. thank you !

April. you have created an interest. Funny how something you never thought much about can become of interest. looking at my grandfathers 30-06 and reading more, it has sparked an interest. I have ask if we ( dad, granddad and I ) can bring this old girl out of moth balls and they have agreed to do so for me. My grandfather indicates to me that the 140 and 160 grain bullets were used a bit in the old 6.5 x 54, but in todays society people would probably use less depending on what they are hunting. granddad understand the allure of the 6.5 x 54 but prefers the 30-06 .

p.s I forgot, you also forgot to thank me:) Joking, I know your dealing with a few issues right now. good luck.

p.sp,s, Brent. if you could only have one, which caliber would you choose. 6.5 x 54, 30-06, 9.5 x 57 ?

Yes I made the assumption your friend had hunted there, after all this is a hunting forum and you mentioned he was looking at a rifle to hunt with and mentioned Scotland, I put 2 and 2 together, but clearly in this case made 5
I didn't mind at all taking time out of my day and finding your friend one calibre of the rifles you requested of the forum, I'm sure I won't hear from him, but I can provide the contact details if he requests them via email.
I can also provide some contacts to hunt with in Scotland, after all I do live over here.
Thanks for the belated appreciation.

Randi, I am not in a position to answer your question, as Brent and April are, as the only one I have used is the 30-06. I would think if your only getting one, to hunt with, the 30-06 would be a good one. I get the feeling he is looking more toward the "originals" than just a hunting rifle . However, if you have them both your pretty well covered.

Brent, not only well played but--your right !!!!;)
Carl 9.3 x 62 number 4 works for me as well

Randi, I was hoping Brent would jump in and answer your question as he would have better and more up to date info than I. However I think he might be getting that new fly he tied wet--I hope so anyway.

One can not go wrong with the 30-06, so if the one your grandfather has works or can easily be brought back into working order, use it and dont look back. And if you get a new one ( to you ), again one can never go wrong with the 30-06. The 6.5 x 54 will also handle everything in North America with the exception of the coastal Brown's and the White bear and since Bell shot elephants with it, I guess it would handle those bears as well, but would not be my first caliber of choice for them.

We only used 140 and 160 gr bullets and at that time besides being heavy for caliber, they did not allow us to hunt with them in some jurisdictions ( like Scotland ). But there are lighter weight bullets available for it AND with todays bullets from folks like Swift, North Fork, Norma, Nosler, Woodleigh, Alaska and others the little 6.5 x 54 M/S would be all one would need and it would be such a nice one to own.

The 9.5 x 57 is a different ball game. Guessing it to be 358 Win/348 Win area of comparison which will give you a nice larger caliber rifle, but other calibers in this area of calibers are better all round calibers IMHO. The key here is the M/S platform, again IMHO

I have pm'd you the information about the fellow in Texas, and if you eventually move back, you should go visit with him.

Panda Bear, thank you and thank your grandfather for the information you pm.d to me. Austria is obviously closer, but that fellow in Canada sure does nice work. So far the 6.5 x 54 has been easy to find. The 9.5 x 57 may end up being new and made in Austria, time will tell.

Gentlemen, you fellows who sent pm's of support, and contact info for these rifles, thank you. I have forwarded the information to him and as I just said to Panda, the 6.5 is looking to be an easy find, the 9.5 x 57, not quite as easy.

Gentlemen, you fellows who sent pm's of support, and contact info for these rifles, thank you. I have forwarded the information to him and as I just said to Panda, the 6.5 is looking to be an easy find, the 9.5 x 57, not quite as easy.

There are several rifles for sale in the 6.5 in the UK
But, this link states there is a 9.5 x 57 for sale in your state of Arizona so I guess thats problem solved is it not?

Devon deer, I think this is the same one we sent her and somebody is looking at it, for her friend. It looks nice, wish I could afford it. We found several scattered around, hope one of them fills the bill. This one does not have the Bavarian stock, but I liked it.

Devon deer, I think this is the same one we sent her and somebody is looking at it, for her friend. It looks nice, wish I could afford it. We found several scattered around, hope one of them fills the bill. This one does not have the Bavarian stock, but I liked it.
Yes it is a lovely rifle, but it would be out of my price range as well.
Cheers
Richard

Randi, Devon Deer, and all others who have assisted, thank you. He has all the information in his hands. As I mentioned to a couple of you fellows yesterday, I have a more important problem that I need to address this week.

Randi, good luck on the job interview. Ken, loved the bowl, there has to be a story connected to it as the design is very unusual. Pat, (-: thanks for everything. Brent, take that fly down to your river and get it wet.

The music thread==some very accomplished musicians here, enjoyed your posts, thanks guys

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back