Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Mannlicher-Schoenaurer

Europe

Trying to help an old friend. Years ago he fell in love with my husbands Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles.

Brent was kind enough to give me a current day review of Pedersoli rifles--thanks Brent.

Barnett in England has some nice stuff from time to time but nothing that fits today. We are in the process of contacting Miedler in Austria, Martini in Canada, Ritter in Germany.

He wants a 6.5 x 54 and a 9.5 x 57.

The negatives from memory is he will not be able to hunt Scotland with the 6.5 x 54, scoping will not be easy and the amount of wood on the rifle, after exposed to the elements, can change zero.

What am I forgetting ? Why do you not like the M/S type rifle ( full length wood, platform, caliber's )

p.s. posted this yesterday and my expert computer skills deleted the post.

Thanks for the assist

I wish I could help you, but I have no experience with Mannlicher-Schoenauers. I see them pop up on GunBroker from time to time and I think about buying one. I believe there's a fair chance that I'd be the only Tennessee whitetail hunter in the woods with one of them, too.

I love the look of most full (Mannlicher) stocked rifles and as Sticks said, the Schoenauers show up regularly on Gunbroker. For me though, the modern Steyrs, Mausers and, to a lesser extent, CZ's are the way to go if you are looking for a full stocked rifle. Scope mounting is easier, parts are more available and service is easier.

Count me in on salivating over them on-line. Ruger made one in 7x54 but actually stamped it .275 Rigby. I still kick myself for not getting one. Though, Jim Corbett's rifle was not full length...........and not a Ruger. Ha! But it would've been cheaper than an actually Rigby that's for sure!

deer shooter, sticksMcKinley and gunshot --thank you gentlemen. appreciate the response's

In response to you three gentlemen and some pm.s I received

Some of the rifles posted for sale on the online sites are or can be a bit misleading. i.e. the 9.3 x 57 and 10's are Mauser calibers. a Bavarian Stock like the Sako Bavarion Carbine ( which are very good rifles--as are Rugers deer-shooter ) , do not have the M/S action or come in the M/S calibers.

The 35 Whelen is similar to the 9.5 x 57, BUT it is not THE caliber (-: and that matters to someone trying to stay as original as possible even if it is a new rifle. Hope that makes sense

I have called some of those folks in the past ( on line sites ) and was told on one occasion that the 9.3 x 64 Brenneke is the same as the 9.5 x 57, or close, which it is not. The 9.3 x 64 B is closer to the 375 H & H. I have also heard " talk to your husband he will explain it to you", after I correct them. Of course, I wish I could, but I am nice and just say thanks and good bye (-; But you are correct, they do show up on those sites and I have told him to monitor them. Thank you

Also, it is a toss up and believe me I see both sides of this coin. Nothing like the original, but having handled one of Miedlier rifles---Nice !

Thank you gentleman for your responses

vaspeedgoat---yes! Those are nice. Hope one still follows you home one day

Mannlicher stocks make me weak in the knees. I want one in 6.5 Swede or something similar.

April, my grandfather had one and it is still around here but it is a 30-06.

I bet it is pretty nice when you hold an original 6.5 x 54, knowing it was made the same year you were born :D

I have never warmed up to the Bavarian stock but the action was pretty slick. I am sure you can get ammo at Norma for the 6.5 x 54. I wonder if anyone loads it in the U.S. ?

I have also heard " talk to your husband he will explain it to you", after I correct them.

This made me laugh out loud. :)

I love the MS action. I don't think it's that hard to scope, as offset mounts have been made for split bridge actions since the 1890's. There are few bolt actions out there with the refined lines & slick action of the MS's. One day I'll have a 6.5 & probably an import in 30-06. A 9.5 would be a wonderful woods gun!

Though not the MS action, I have the CZ 550 FS with the Bavarian-Mannlicher stock in 9.3x62. I love it. Shoots great, easy to handle. I had no issues mounting a scope on it either.

Brent, it did not reach the minimum ME and MV required for deer hunting--but , maybe the 140 now if there home brewed , but not the 160. However they would be legal for squirrels so your good to go (-:

Cheyenne, I have sent off a pm to Big fin and ask him to ban you (-;

Carl, yes the CZ are nice and that is a caliber you might like (-:

rwc101, your weak in the knees statement reminded me of something a long time ago, thank you. We were in a shop in Europe and my husband was literally drooling over a rifle. I ask him, "the rifle or a weekend with Elizabeth Taylor "( of course this was when she was in her 20's ) He said, if I only get the weekend with them ( gun or girl ) I will take Elizabeth, but if I get to have the gun for as long as I want, I will take the gun (-;

Ben and Carl, your correct of course they can be scoped Ben I hope you can get all three ! The 30-06 would be easier to find ammo for if you lost yours or ran out on a trip. Ben, ----thank you---I tend to laugh more about those things now than I did when I was younger (-:

thanks guys for the replies and jokes

@Europe No reason why he can't hunt in Scotland with that calibre, can I assume as he wants to hunt in Scotland he actually lives in the UK, maybe I could meet him?

In Scotland for all deer of any species - the bullet must weigh at least 100 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second and a minimum muzzle energy of 1,750 foot pounds. It must be stressed that all these figures are the minimum legal requirement.

I have found what he wants in 6.5x54 ranging in price from around $1000-$2000 6 rifles in all here in the UK.
Some even include a scope.

I assume that fits the bill?

Cheers

Richard

in reference to hunting deer in scotland, I stand corrected

He does not live in the U.K., but loves Scotland. so much he even bought some Scottish Highland cattle. I will pass along the info on the rifles

Harley your letting me down, where are you ? I might try Tradewind (-;

running, excuse typos

I also know some people that like those types of cattle. I prefer Texas Longhorns :)

We also have a 30-6 and I am told it is a tad newer than the ones you are looking for. I looked up the fellow in Austria. If I had the coin--hell yeah :love:

April, good luck today. Keep us posted when you can --and on a personal note, --THANK YOU

Why can he not hunt Scotland with a 6.5 x 54? (not sure what that is, necked down .308?)

I would not be in the new market, were I looking - but you know how I roll.

This one sold recentl https://www.gunbroker.com/item/856497631

Brent, going to take the thread off track and ask you and /or others. If one has the money and it is not a family heirloom,, and your not a "collector" why not buy a new one ? I wont speculate but let you, and others, tell my why

if money is not the issue and your not a "collector" why would you prefer one that is 100 years old instead of a new one from an Australian rifle maker that specializes in making these types of rifles. thanks

Brent, going to take the thread off track and ask you and /or others. If one has the money and it is not a family heirloom,, and your not a "collector" why not buy a new one ? I wont speculate but let you, and others, tell my why

if money is not the issue and your not a "collector" why would you prefer one that is 100 years old instead of a new one from an Australian rifle maker that specializes in making these types of rifles. thanks

1582928325625.png

well, I'm not a collector, that's for sure, so why do I prefer older, vs. new?

1. Because, they might be better made. That's not a given, but you know how folks fawn over "pre '64" Winchesters. Well, they don't make new doubles like pre WWI, and new Winchester 1885s aren't. Aren't even 1885s, under their ugly skins.
2. Because, there are lots of varieties of old guns that just are not made anymore. If you rule out the old guns, you void some pretty cool models and maybe avoid some pretty unnecessary and unsightly features (can you say "Marlin crossbolt safety"?
3. Because, old guns are finished with varnish and oils and things that are warm and sensuous to the touch. Not plastic-coated polyurethane, OR WORSE (we don't even want to contemplate going there).
4. Because, most of all, they just might have a soul, some history, and interesting gouge to speculate came at the end of a long fall while scrambling after something that just disappeared over the ridge, but didn't get away in the end. Or maybe, just dropped by a 9 yr old shooting his first "big gun", or who knows? Not me. But I can wonder.
5. Because like other old stuff, it tends to hold its value much better and longer. It may even accrue value, but I do not recommend that you buy a gun as a retirement investment, vs a retirement treat.
6. Because it is so much more fun to hunt to gun shops in small towns you have never been to, or peruse internet pages when you should be grading an exam, or skimming an estate auction or leafing through an uppish-scale auction house catalog, than looking at the modern websites and new-only racks at the "big box" stores like "Sportster's Wearhouse" (sic). You can never discover treasure in a place where everything comes in shrink wrap, and who doesn't want at least the chance of discovering treasure.
7. Because - I don't know - because it's fun to learn about what was (and still is, if you look).
8. Because, it's a chance to walk off the recently beaten path and trace the faint, but still visible path that someone beat down long ago.
9. Because, it sometimes is fun to drive people nuts on the internet, or to prod their curiosities at the rifle range.
9. Because, ,,, I reserve the right to expand up on this list without warning as other subliminal rationales become liminal to me.

OK, getting this thread back on track, no need to thank me Europe, glad I could help out.

Really interested what estate in Scotland your friend might have hunted and for what species when he spent some time in Scotland, my friends son has just come home after spending 6 months as a trainee game keeper/deer stalker.
You never know it might be the same estate.

Back