Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Maker Bullets?

MThuntr

Anyone Maker Bullets? They're a copper bullet with either a hollow point or a tip placed in the hollow point. They are CNC machined and have slits made in them for expansion. It looks like they have some designed for lower velocity like Grendel and some for higher velocities. I'm tempted to give them a try but like my Hammers.

Anyone Maker Bullets? They're a copper bullet with either a hollow point or a tip placed in the hollow point. They are CNC machined and have slits made in them for expansion. It looks like they have some designed for lower velocity like Grendel and some for higher velocities. I'm tempted to give them a try but like my Hammers.
I was thinking @p_ham liked them.

I use them a lot for subsonic expanding bullets. I've used the in 260AI and my 375 wildcat also and they are plenty accurate. They do tend to run slower than conventional bullets. They seem to be a softer copper than Hammers.

I have loaded their 350gn 338 expanding projectile in my 8.6blk, and I've been really happy so far. Consistent and reliable to far.

I've never really understood those that change bullet's from bullet's they like to something different. Have to think changing from a Hammer is simply about trying something different unless there was something wrong with the hHammer but seem's everyone that tries them seem's to love them! Only two bullet's I've ever used on game animals are either Hornady SP's or Speer Hot Cores. Mostly the Hornadys!. Neither bullet has ever let me down when I choose well. I remember not liking the 100gr Hornady in my 25-06, it was to distructive but went to 117gr and problem went away, go figure. If I had trouble getting the Hornady to shoot I went to Speer then used what ever shot best. But it's only the Hot Cores in Speer I'll use on game. Of course that is simply a personnal thing. Used a 140gr Hot Core on my hog this year and with the shot I took any bullet would have worked well! These Maker bullet I'd never heard of till now.

Speaking of changing for the sake of changing, I recall looking at powder burning rates in a mamual years ago, seem's like a lot of years! Looked like a lot of different powder's but I found a list in a much newer manual a few days ago and could not believe the number of powder's there are now! Something that surprised me was in that newer list was N-205. I loved that stuff in my old 7mm Rem mag but they discontinued it in the 1970's. Boy did that dtuff work well in my old 7mm mag! No idea it might be avaliable again!

Tell you how stupid this bullet selecting got for me. I shot the 154gr Hornady in that 7mm mag and the 160gr hot core in it at 100 yds into a stack of news paper to see which expanded best. The were both about the same! Hornady had a nice mushroom retaining 85% of it's weight. Core was loose in the jacket! Speer also mushroomed nicely retaining 85% of it weight and the core was tight in the acket. Good selling point I think now but then I choose the Speer because at 100 yds it's groups were about 1/8th inch smaller. Good thinking. I was young then!

I've never really understood those that change bullet's from bullet's they like to something different.
I never really understood those that comment things like this (lots of high horse talk lately)....I've never shot this rifle so I want to see what was out there and these guys popped up so I asked for experience about them. You offered none of that.

Your tempted to give them a try but like your Hammers?

You have tried different bullets before right?! Contribute something of value or take your trolling elsewhere. You've offered little if anything of value lately. Maybe it's time for you to go to 24hrcampfire and stroke someone else
Sorry to have hurt your feelings! What I wrote was no more than opinions!

I've never really understood those that change bullet's from bullet's they like to something different. Have to think changing from a Hammer is simply about trying something different unless there was something wrong with the hHammer but seem's everyone that tries them seem's to love them! Only two bullet's I've ever used on game animals are either Hornady SP's or Speer Hot Cores. Mostly the Hornadys!. Neither bullet has ever let me down when I choose well. I remember not liking the 100gr Hornady in my 25-06, it was to distructive but went to 117gr and problem went away, go figure. If I had trouble getting the Hornady to shoot I went to Speer then used what ever shot best. But it's only the Hot Cores in Speer I'll use on game. Of course that is simply a personnal thing. Used a 140gr Hot Core on my hog this year and with the shot I took any bullet would have worked well! These Maker bullet I'd never heard of till now.

Speaking of changing for the sake of changing, I recall looking at powder burning rates in a mamual years ago, seem's like a lot of years! Looked like a lot of different powder's but I found a list in a much newer manual a few days ago and could not believe the number of powder's there are now! Something that surprised me was in that newer list was N-205. I loved that stuff in my old 7mm Rem mag but they discontinued it in the 1970's. Boy did that dtuff work well in my old 7mm mag! No idea it might be avaliable again!

Tell you how stupid this bullet selecting got for me. I shot the 154gr Hornady in that 7mm mag and the 160gr hot core in it at 100 yds into a stack of news paper to see which expanded best. The were both about the same! Hornady had a nice mushroom retaining 85% of its weight. Core was loose in the jacket! Speer also mushroomed nicely retaining 85% of it weight and the core was tight in the acket. Good selling point I think now but then I choose the Speer because at 100 yds its groups were about 1/8th inch smaller. Good thinking. I was young then!

Are you and Ontario related?

I can tell you one thing, It getting old with your post.
I believe you'll find a way to ignore me if you look. I'm not snivling at your post's attacking, I just use the ignore feature and don't have to think about it anymore!

Are you and Ontario related?
The vast maority of his post's I agree with. The very few I might not do not make me feel like attacking him. Thay are simply no more than his opinion's based on his experience or thoughts. He has a right to that! ya don't like his stuff, put him on your ignore list!

Which bullet are you looking at? Their website is a little lacking.

I believe you'll find a way to ignore me if you look. I'm not snivling at your post's attacking, I just use the ignore feature and don't have to think about it anymore!
Subject was about lead free bullets which may be interesting to some. You just want to take over post and you do all the time. Why didn't you start post on Hornady bullets.

I never really understood those that comment things like this (lots of high horse talk lately)....I've never shot this rifle so I want to see what was out there and these guys popped up so I asked for experience about them. You offered none of that.
Call them. Feel out their customer service. mtmuley

I ordered 200 to run through my 44 mag.

The most absolute roughest looking bullets I have seen.

And these are not machined. Cold struck like BArnes.

Call them. Feel out their customer service. mtmuley
Planning on it. I chose not to risk it and ordered a sampler of the 124HH because I know if I can't get them to shoot Steve is only a phone call away.

I do believe I'm going to call and get the scoop.
Which bullet are you looking at? Their website is a little lacking.
130gr Tipped T-rex. I may order some to investigate after a phone call with them. Nice to have a nonlead alternative in your back pocket especially for the slower rounds.

Shot some 250 and 275 T rex out of my 45 Raptor. Just did velocity ladders like you are supposed to do with Hammers. They seemed fairly accurate as the spread on the target was not terrible. The velocity never got to where it outperformed the much slower and larger Hornady 395 Sub X due to ballistic difference. The makers were .18. I shot some Hammer 221 today at advance speed but they will probably suffer the same fate. Haven't ran the numbers yet.

I didn't get a call in but sent an email and the owner, Paul, replied within a couple hours. I didn't ask much since I did grab hammers but he said the Grendel specific bullets were designed to expand at 1500 to 1600fps. He recommended the 95gr for Grendel. Turns out there are several videos on YouTube for absorb.

I have a question in to see about other bullets he offers. I think I might try a pack just to see how they do.

EDIT: Paul suggests that the high velocity version of his bullet requires 1800-2000pfs for expansion which lines up with other copper bullets of similar design.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back