MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Madison river float question

huntin24/7

Hey, we’re coming from the eastern part of the state to meet up with some friends in big sky for a few days and going to do a 3-4 hour float with tubes and kayaks on the Madison. Just wondering what the conditions are there as far as depth and how fast the water is. Not sure if kids would need life jackets or if their swing floaties would be good and if adults would need life jackets for it. Thanks! Also, if anyone has any suggestions for a spot to maybe do some fishing for bookies or rainbows for a couple hours with the spinning Rod over there. Thanks.

I don’t know anything about this particular river, but everyone should ALWAYS wear a life jacket when on the water.

Just this last weekend went down a gentle stretch of the McKenzie. My friends insisted they don’t need life jackets, the river is so calm. Guess what happened; one of them hit a submerged log, flipped, tube went down river, and she needed to be rescued. Luckily I keep a throwable pfd in my raft. I tossed it to her and we got her in the raft.

Had I not been there, S&R would have had to be called.

Wear life jackets.

Assuming lower Madison. The water is neither deep nor particularly fast, tho it is moving. Children should always wear a life vest, but they are only legally required if under 12 and on a watercraft (such as a kayak).

You can catch trout right in the Madison. The water is getting warm and is marginal in the afternoons - in the heat of the afternoon youll likely be killing fish even if you are releasing them.

If you are talking about floating the upper Madison, I recommend putting a helmet on the kids depending on age.

Edit: Just checked and Hoot Owl has started on the Lower Madison so no fishing allowed after 2PM.

Assuming you are going from Warm Springs to Black's Ford... adults do not need life jackets, I'd always put kids in them. River is typically 18inches deep some deeper spots, some spots where you hit your butt on the bottom in a tube.

As previously stated, the lower Madison from Warm Springs to Blacks Ford is best suited for kids. Too warm right now to fish though. Kids should wear life jackets. I fished the upper Madison last week. Moving pretty fast for kids.

When I first started working where I do now a family was getting ready to take a family picture on a sandbar in the river. They took the lifejackets off the children for the picture, but while the photographer was getting everyone ready for the photo the 2 year old slipped away. It took search and rescue crews a few days to find the child, but they did. Unfortunately that family photo will be remembered forever, but for reasons no one wishes to remember. A tragic accident that could have easily been prevented.

There have been tactical otter attacks reported in the region, don't leave your sword in the truck
The otter attacks were on the Jefferson River. I saw the pictures of the victims wounds and they were brutal. Happened toward evening in water deep enough that the ladies could not stand up in their tubes to defend themselves. They (otters) likely had young nearby.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back