Caribou Gear Tarp

Madison County Summer 2014

jryoung

So wifey and I were negotiating vacation plans for 2014....most of which I want to consume with hunting. I told her she needs to come to MT and hunt with me. She replied, "I like killing more than hunting, and being cold in MT for 5-7 days could be fun, but probably won't be for me".

The then followed that up with I'd go on a fishing vacation with you. So my wheels are spinning as I have visions of fly fishing for browns, bows and cutts in Madison County. The problem....neither of us fly fish. I think I'd be open to a guide service as it would be nice to be provided gear, location and know how but I fear that many of those services are for well heeled folks who are afraid to touch their own fish.

We want to go out and have an adventure and learn something new, not necessarily be pampered on our "vacation".

Do any of you locals have any thoughts that would suit us for a couple of days in June-ish?

June's a tough month. You never know what spring and runoff will look like. There's always somewhere to fish, but you might have to get a little creative. The western part of YNP (i.e., Firehole, Gibbon, and Madison rivers) fishes well that time of year. The lower Madison and the stretch between Hebgen and Quake may be fishing as well as some other nearby tailwaters like the Beaverhead and Missouri. The Henry's Fork isn't too far either. Regardless, I wouldn't worry about a guide unless you really want to float. There's plenty of places to wade and stretches of river an inexperienced boater can navigate without any problems.

You might consider wetting your feet with fly fishing before you pony up money for a guide. i would suggest at least getting a little competent casting ,familiar with line management, and have some basic knowledge.This will help the guide provide a better service for your hard earned money.I'm sure these guys have seen it all,but they probably have more confidence in getting you to CATCH fish if you have a clue,otherwise the trip turns in to more about simply teaching from scratch.The point is to pay someone to help you catch fish on their turf.Not saying you couldn't go out there cold turkey and catch a few fish but the experience might be more satisfying if you have some things figured out in advance.I would wager that the majority of clients have some experience, and the ones that don't could give a crap about spending $400 plus tip.Don't mean to discourage you here.Maybe a day on the river,checking out the beautiful views,getting a crash course in fishing,and hopefully catching some fish is worth it.Other option is to rally a few local hunttalkers/fishermen and make a day of it,...I'd be up for it.Save your money for travel expenses,food, and local beer.:)

You also might be better off waiting for the smaller tribs, which are super fun to fish and very forgiving for a beginning fly fisherman, to start fishing especially if the two of you are relatively new to fly fishing. My dad was out here this spring when our boy was born in late June. The rivers were starting to turn but the fishing wasn't really all that great yet. Luckily I had him bring along both a spinning and fly rod the day we fished the Big Hole. He managed a few fish with the spinning rod but didn't have any luck fly fishing. Like Hem said, it's not something you can learn in day. However, the scenery easily makes up for a slow day on the river.

Last edited:
jryoung, I was raised in Madison County and know the area and people very very well. If I was coming to the area to fish I would try and hook up with Seth McLean. He is a guide for 4 Rivers Outfitters in Twin Bridges. He can teach you everything that you have ever wanted to know about fly fishing and he is as good as it gets on the oars. If you have any more questions PM me.

After mid July is a better time to visit - the runoff has stopped and the snow is out of the backcountry. If you can hike into a backcountry lake the flyfishing will be easier than a river since you don't have to worry about drag, etc. Spin fishing works fine too.

I think you'd have more fun screwing around in Yellowstone Park as your main activity than trying to learn how to flyfish during June runoff.

jryoung, I was raised in Madison County and know the area and people very very well. If I was coming to the area to fish I would try and hook up with Seth McLean. He is a guide for 4 Rivers Outfitters in Twin Bridges. He can teach you everything that you have ever wanted to know about fly fishing and he is as good as it gets on the oars. If you have any more questions PM me.

Go with Seth and you might just get yourself a moose.

Plenty of places to fish even when the waters high. Lots of nice black bears too, the season down in the Madison goes to June 15th. You shouldn't feel obligated to fly fish either, spin fishing is pretty good too.

I know the mystique surrounding the Madison and I have to admit it is one of my favorite rivers...But for beginner fly anglers you could have a true DIY trip west of the divide catching nice westslope cutties and camping...Fish mountain tribs, nice fish that are very easy to catch on the fly, and the fish and scenery are so pretty.

You're trying to keep me out of SW MT aren't you mtlion. ;)

Looks like July might be a better option which is doable too. Maybe now I can convince here for a mid-May "scouting trip" in bear country.

I don't know, the last few years I have noticed that the fishing tails off a little bit come mid July. The creek on my grandma's ranch was fantastic fishing during the middle of June, but when I tried it at the beginning of August it definitely was not fishing as well. I think the low snow pack the last few years has been the reason, but the fishing from mid-June to mid-July has been pretty great. Throwing chubbies to rising cutts, bows and browns is a pretty awesome time.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back