Yeti GOBOX Collection

Lower end Back Pack Tents? Suggestions?

WYelker

Well my old light weight 3 season Eureka tent is on its last trips. It is time to replace it. I don’t need or want any high end $$$$ tents. But something affordable and that will work. I think my Eureka was like $130 and it lasted Almost 13 years of use….

So what is out there that is packable 3-4 4 man (prefer the extra space for gear or a 2 man with a large vestibule for storage?

The Eureka was nice as it had 2 doors which meant no crawling over everything…

Attachments

• F80E28DA-DF29-4F2F-BEB0-9955D2001BAE.jpeg
    F80E28DA-DF29-4F2F-BEB0-9955D2001BAE.jpeg
    509.2 KB · Views: 24
In general I've had good experiences with REI brand gear, might be something to check out I think they have some decent options in the sub $200 range.
I'll echo this. There was a $200 difference between my Copper Spur and my folks REI tent. Theres weighed a skosch more...

I used a River Country 2.2 tent last year in deep snow for elk and it seemed to work out pretty good- No seepage from underneath but other than snow on the ground, I did not experience any bad weather like wind, rain, etc. When I bought it, it was $90 and just saw its on sale on Amazon for $53 right now. Comes with trekking poles you use for the tent poles, weighs in at just over 3 pounds and is made in Washington. When I got this tent, I was deciding between it and the Paria Bryce 1P ($160, just under 3 pounds) and 2P ($175, 3 1/2 pounds) and went with the River Country because it was cheaper and bigger that the Bryce 1P while only weighing a little more. Both have a bunch of reviews/videos online.

I used a River Country 2.2 tent last year in deep snow for elk and it seemed to work out pretty good- No seepage from underneath but other than snow on the ground, I did not experience any bad weather like wind, rain, etc. When I bought it, it was $90 and just saw its on sale on Amazon for $53 right now. Comes with trekking poles you use for the tent poles, weighs in at just over 3 pounds and is made in Washington. When I got this tent, I was deciding between it and the Paria Bryce 1P ($160, just under 3 pounds) and 2P ($175, 3 1/2 pounds) and went with the River Country because it was cheaper and bigger that the Bryce 1P while only weighing a little more. Both have a bunch of reviews/videos online.
$52.76 today for Prime Day

I’ve been in a $30 one-man Magellan for 9 years. Last it year it started to leak, so I bought a new one for $30-$40. I have a Eureka 2-man. It’s a much better tent. It’s also heavier and takes me longer to set up.

By no means is the dirt cheap tent on par with a quality tent. That said, I can’t say I NEED a great tent. If money was no object I’d be looking at Hilleberg, Big Agnes, and possibly Eureka. I don’t know if I’m crazy or if you can get away with cheaper tents. My sleeping pad costs 5X what my tent does, and my bag costs 6X. My pack costs 25X what my tent does and my boots cost 15X what my tent does.

I bought a $30 tent on the way to some public land when I had left my Eureka at home because I was originally planning a day trip. Turns out I enjoyed the ease and weight of a 1-man tent and never felt the need to for higher quality until it started leaking nine years later, but even then, I just bought another cheap tent from the same cheap company.

I say skip the tent. I did several lightweight backpack hunts in third season and just went with a tarp. Stomped the snow down, set up the tarp with one end open, pine boughs roughly 10" thick,insulated mat, 0°down bag. Coldest it's been using this system was -5°F. and I was fine. Some people don't like the open end concept but I like it because you don't have condensation from your breath. It's pretty chilly in the morning though.

I use an Eclipse 3-man tent from Cabelas. I think I paid around $40 for it. Admittedly my hunts are in Texas where the lowest overnight temp was in the 40s. It’s surprisingly light.

Edit: I weighed it and it’s 8.5 pounds, if you consider that light.

IMG_1012.jpeg

Last edited:

I just bought this tent. only 2 man but has 2 vestibule. the factory seconds price is unbeatable in my opinion. also geartrade.com has lots of good used gear.

Sale stuff @ REI & Campmoor have been my friend.
Kelty Gunnison 2.0 is what I have for packing. Great for rain & snow.
Been using it for truck camps since I broke a pole on my Gander Mtn. dome tent. Going to repair that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back