Lower Clarks or Wise River

Pagosa

I've been in the process of checking into areas for elk, deer, and bear since becoming a resident in Montana. I'm looking at either hunting around Plains or Wise River this fall for elk and deer. I've spent about 10 days deer and bear hunting near Plains and have seen elk or sign almost every time. I think I have a good idea of access into the area and its close to home. The only down side is the fact of low hunter success, and people always recommend other areas for elk, like region 3-4.
I've only fished last summer on the Big Hole but seen about 200 elk on the WMA and west of Wise River. And with a busy construction season I don't see getting much time to scout the area, and would be arriving to new area to hunt basically a few days before season to scout. I know the deer numbers are low in region 3 and I don't have a mule deer tag for 319.
Would I be better suited to hunt a area I'm familiar with close to home with half the elk or head to the higher elk numbers in Region 3 and just focus on deer in Region 1? Just interested in others opinions?

I grew up in Plains. Yeah, you might see some sign this time of year, but come hunting season elk are far and few between and you might spend all season hunting them without actually seeing one.

I also went to school in Dillon and hunted the Wise River area. Even two days of scouting and then hunting in that area will give you more results than a full season will around Plains.

Stone Ice - I appreciate it. The elk stat are low for reg 1. For the first few years I will probably elk hunt down by dillon/wise river and deer/bear hunt up here. Thanks for the help. Preston

The bio (Fager) for 331/332 was helpful in getting me some information on the area as I was scrambling to find a place to hunt since the September storm threw a wrench in my plans. I'd give him a call and pick his brain. Though, to me even will less elk numbers, hunting locally can be a huge advantage instead of spending time on the road.

Then again, it's Montana and you guys have so much time and opportunity you can do both.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back