Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Loping Along

Big Sky

All I can say is this day sure beat working. How could I have anything but a good day with a cute little guide like this? My daughter spotted 90% of the lopes before I did, including this buck.
AntelopeTroyDanielle05Small_original.jpg

A little later in the day we also took this doe. The shot was a little over 300 yards and I was pleased with the bullet placement especially considering the 20mph crosswind. Sorry about all the blood, but we were in a hurry. I had to get back to my son's football game. So it was basically: Boom, take a photo, gut, toss the doe in the truck, and hurry home. All in all, it was a very GOOD DAY!
AntelopeDoe05Small_original.jpg

Nice photo's Troy and as always, love to see your personal hunting guide showing you the lopes. I hope my girls turn out the same way. NIce buck!!!!

Hey, that's great. She spotted a good one for you!!! With 300 yards and a 20 mph cross wind and placement like that, I'm thinking you had a pocket full of bullets?

You're talking a couple of feet to the side, right? Wow, good shot!

Tom, I practice a lot of distance shooting in the wind. Living in eastern Montana one either learns to shoot in the wind or stay home. I only fired one shot at the doe. The wind was blowing from left to right. The doe was facing to the left/broadside. I held for the front of her brisket, a couple inches inside the hair line. As you can see by the entry wound in the photo your prediction is pretty close. I fired two shots this day and collected two antelope. I was pretty pleased as between this year and last year I'm 5 shots for 5 antelope. Anyone that has hunted them much can appreciate just how difficult that can be. I'm just wondering how much longer my luck will hold out.

Tom it depends on the situation. In this case I didn't adjust the turrets. There wasn't time as she was fix'in to leave. The rifle is zereod to be dead on at 250 yards. The majority of practice I do is from 250 yards to 300 yards. I try to get out several times a month and shoot milk jugs filled with water at those distances and sometimes further. All from field positions, never from a bench rest. It doesn't matter whether it's raining, windy, calm, cloudy, or the sun is shining I go. I figure the closer I can come to duplicating the situation in the field the better my odds when hunting. All this to say, I was quite confident shooting the doe before I ever touched the trigger. One other little trick I used on this doe is I keep my scope set at a power with a known measurement. Adult antelope in general are 15" from the top of their back to the bottom of the chest. I keep my scope dialed to a power that brackets 15" at 300 yards. That way if the lope is broadside I just put the scope on it and determine whether it's over or under 300 yards. If I see a bunch of daylight between the back of the lope and my bracket measurement I know it's too far for me to shoot. If it matches up to the back and chest or exceeds it, I know there won't be much if any hold over. Probably more information than you wanted, but now you know it's not all luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back