Looking for Rios spring of 2010

mconway951

Looking to go rio hunting this spring have been looking at oklahoma looks like they have some decent public ground to hunt. Just wondering if anybody has ever hunted there or could offer any advice on other places dont wanna pay a guide however i wouldnt mind paying a tresspass fee so if anybody knows people in texas. Anyadvice would be greatly appreciated.

Looking to go rio hunting this spring have been looking at oklahoma looks like they have some decent public ground to hunt. Just wondering if anybody has ever hunted there or could offer any advice on other places dont wanna pay a guide however i wouldnt mind paying a tresspass fee so if anybody knows people in texas. Anyadvice would be greatly appreciated.

The Canadian River area in W.OK has a good Rio pop. Check out the OK. Wildlife website for more info. on public land...
There are Texas day leases for turkey, but they are too expensive for my taste... like $500.

Last edited:
I hunted the Canadian River area in W.OK a few years back. Lot's of birds along the river. Don't know about public land

Have you considered Nebraska?Rio's in the south,Merriam's in the north and Easterns in the east.Lots of WMA's,lots of land and lots of birds($91 per bird three bird limit).

I have a good serious turkey hunting bud who lives in Vernon TX. Not a guide or an outfitter but has some excellent Rio hunting leases in a four bird area.
He swap hunts only and for States he has never hunted in....got a goal to hunt a turkle burd in as many states as possible.
If interested, you can email me at [email protected] and I will try to hook you up

Been Looking at public in OK and KS myself.

Here is a little info I found from the WTF
http://www.nwtf.org/conservation/bulletins/bulletin_3_9-9-09.pdf
http://www.nwtf.org/conservation/bulletins/bulletin_22.pdf
(Sheet 2 has a density map from 2000)

In Kansas there is a pretty big Walk In Hunting Area just north of the Oklahoma line in Comanche county. Looks to be about 10,000 acres.
http://kdwp.state.ks.us/news/KDWP-I...shing-Maps-by-County/2009-Spring-Turkey-Atlas
Don't know anything more about it except it lies in the ultra high density area on the WTF map.

In Oklahoma we have been looking at Cooper, Ft Supply and Canton in the NW portion of the state. I typically hunt just south of Canton on my father in law's land but I am gonna venture elsewhere this year. Oklahoma has a lots of Rios especially along rivers and large creeks which you can tell from the Density maps.

You could also locate private land along water ways in an area and take a page from Pheasant hunters and just go knock on a farm house door and ask to hunt.

For public hunting stay away from opening weekend and try to hunt during the week.

Going rate for self guided Turkey hunting in Western OK will be around $500 for 2 birds. I am sure there are a few websites with offers like that. Could also check different Chamber of Commerce for leases and day hunts.

Check out Ellis County and Black Kettle PHA in western OK as well. You can find info at the Ok. Dept. of Wildlife Conservation website.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back