Looking for Instant Pot Stew Recipe

Wallow

Anyone have a proven IP elk/deer recipe to pass along? We are not into spicy, just basic seasonings. Thanks!

I think that is the recipe, or similar, we used. Something about the pressure cooking seems to drive flavor through the meat, without taking away the elk-ness of it. We find about all we use the pot for is to make stew, chili, or carnitas (the latter two use beef and pork, respectively - elk has a higher calling than its last moments being on a corn tortilla).

Same here, we do that exact one about twice a month when it’s cold out. Super easy.
I think that is the recipe, or similar, we used. Something about the pressure cooking seems to drive flavor through the meat, without taking away the elk-ness of it. We find about all we use the pot for is to make stew, chili, or carnitas (the latter two use beef and pork, respectively - elk has a higher calling than its last moments being on a corn tortilla).
I tried this recipe yesterday and it did not disappoint. Thanks again! (Only change I made was to use 1/2 of an onion).

I tried this recipe yesterday and it did not disappoint. Thanks again! (Only change I made was to use 1/2 of an onion).

Awesome, glad it worked out. Only adjustment we do usually is to add a sprinkle of cone starch at the end to thicken things up a bit.

I would add- we had troubles with this recipe (and many others) when using the original pot insert- the burn warning would keep going off because it stuck to the bottom. My wife found a different “non-stick” one and haven't had the issue since.

Awesome, glad it worked out. Only adjustment we do usually is to add a sprinkle of cone starch at the end to thicken things up a bit.

I would add- we had troubles with this recipe (and many others) when using the original pot insert- the burn warning would keep going off because it stuck to the bottom. My wife found a different “non-stick” one and haven't had the issue since.
After you saute the meat and remove it from the pot, do you pour some beef broth in and scrape the residue off the bottom with a flat edged wooden spoon? If not, it won't heat properly.

I'm going to have to find one of those non-stick after market pots - thanks

Do it if you’ve had that same issue- I was ready to punt the stupid thing out into the lawn before we got the new one, and we did do what Wallow mentioned. Not sure why, but that original insert gave us fits.

We find about all we use the pot for is to make stew, chili, or carnitas (the latter two use beef and pork, respectively - elk has a higher calling than its last moments being on a corn tortilla).
Don’t forget chile Colorado, chile verde, mojo pork (for Cuban sandwiches), pot roast (neck!), birria (shoulder!), lengua, braised shanks, osso buko, and even Italian Sunday gravy (all-day red sauce and assorted meats and sausages).

I saw the parent company for InstantPot (and Pyrex and some other brands) filed for bankruptcy today. They all seemed like popular brands. Crazy times.

I saw the parent company for InstantPot (and Pyrex and some other brands) filed for bankruptcy today. They all seemed like popular brands. Crazy times.
They were acquired by a company that over-leveraged itself, then couldn’t cover payments on debt when variable interest rates doubled. Yes, sales declined, but seemingly not enough that the company couldn’t have maintained profitability.

Back