Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Looking for a holster or otherwise I can mount in my new truck

Ghillieman

I'm looking for a holster, rig, sometype of set up to hold my .45 Detonics in a easily accessible fashion. Underdash, in the console? I have friends that have used the vertical clamp type under dash and at some point they fall off..
Looking for advice, companies etc.
Thanks!

Big fan of my Alien Gear ShapeShift car holster for my console.

They also make a few other models for underseat/seatbelt side carry.

Last edited:
I like the Dara Holsters but admit that not long after installing the screws started loosening. I permanently solved the problem by completely disassembling it and assembling it with high strength lock tight on all screw threads. Not one screw has come loose since and it's been years.

I like the Dara Holsters but admit that not long after installing the screws started loosening. I permanently solved the problem by completely disassembling it and assembling it with high strength lock tight on all screw threads. Not one screw has come loose since and it's been years.
I'm actually leaning to the Dara as well. Looks like a versatile mount.. Good info. If I go this way i too will lok-tite it.
Thanks!

I'm looking for a holster, rig, sometype of set up to hold my .45 Detonics in a easily accessible fashion. Underdash, in the console? I have friends that have used the vertical clamp type under dash and at some point they fall off..
Looking for advice, companies etc.
Thanks!
Ever think of making your own with Kydex?

Recently had my Para P14-45 stainless stolen from my truck. It was well hidden, but they went right to it.
Not gonna hijack this thread with the story.

But that is why...

My advice is, whatever you choose, make damn sure that it's easy to pull and take with you when you leave the rig.
And NEVER forget and leave the piece in the truck. It only takes once and some tweaker is packing around your piece with the serial number filed off.

Recently had my Para P14-45 stainless stolen from my truck. It was well hidden, but they went right to it.
Not gonna hijack this thread with the story.

But that is why...

My advice is, whatever you choose, make damn sure that it's easy to pull and take with you when you leave the rig.
And NEVER forget and leave the piece in the truck. It only takes once and some tweaker is packing around your piece with the serial number filed off.

Yep. My pistol stays in the holster on my belt, not in the truck.

9F4C57D5-9660-4DEB-9724-813FF61BD299.jpegQuick access while I’m in the vehicle. I do not leave guns in the vehicle when I’m not in it.

I’m going to assume everyone is an adult and has done their due diligence to know that some states require the loaded pistol to be ON your person in order to be on compliance with your CPL/CWP whatever you call it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you conceal carry this pistol consider that you will have to unholster your firearm (presumably loaded) and then reholster it on your person when you leave your vehicle. Personally I want to keep holstering/reholstering while loaded to a minimum for both personal safety as well as bystanders observing me handling a pistol in my vehicle.

My vote is get a good holster that’s comfortable and accessible while driving, sitting and going about your day.

Pistol doesn't do you no good if it's not on you... walking in and out of parking lots is the riskiest spot most of the time. Besides why in the world would I want to have to handle my unholstered pistol everytime you get in and out of vehicle? Huge chances for negligent shots going off or brandishing charges.

I put my holster on when I leave the house, it comes off when I get home. No reason to do anything else. It needs to be on me always ready to do its job, never being out of it's holster for unnecessary reasons. I carry a full size glock 19 in an alien gear IWB holster. If yours isn't comfortable enough to wear you should look into addressing that.

Also for what it's worth I think there's alot of simplicity and reliability in always having your gun in one spot. You don't have to think oh crap where's it at? Its on my hip at 4 o'clock, lights on it too. No thinking. And I can access it just as easy driving as not driving. And it's not in the way or uncomfortable driving.

Also use an alien gear chest holster to hold it on my chest in the winter (carhart bibs, no access to waist). When hunting too, same deal with hunting bibs, no access to waist and on chest its always accessible no matter what clothes are on and backpack or rifle or bow can all be used without interference. A chest holster also would make alot of sense for folks riding motorcycles.

Back