Longest Bow Shot?

I'm happy you are also a 1 in a million shot like Ulmer.

Plus, he's shooting foam targets. Even at 300 fps it takes an arrow a full second to travel 100 yards. Plenty of time for an animal to move.

I 've had whitetail completely duck an arrow at 30 yards.

Practice to 70 would only shoot out to 50 on an elk under ideal conditions.

Like most, I prefer 40 and under.

I like to practice at long ranges as it makes the closer shots feel like a gimme.

I practice out to 70 yards on a regular basis and feel that is my max range. However... I did call an elk into range a few years back and shot him at less than 25 yards. He ran out there and stopped at 86 yards, so I put my 70 yard pin on his back and drilled him again. To me, if an animal is still standing, hit 'em again...rifle or bow! He went maybe 10 more yards and piled up. If that had been my first shot, I wouldn't have taken it though.

With that being said, I shot an animal at my CLOSEST range on Saturday...7 FEET! :D

70 is my max on an elk even though I'd feel confident out to 80 under the right conditions. Those conditions are very rare and I had to pass on a 70 yard opportunity the other day on a mature bull because the conditions weren't perfect for that shot. Honestly if you practice a lot with your bow a 70 yard shot on an elk is very doable. Look at Ulmer's 2" 100 yard group. Ideally I like to be inside 50 yards though and will always strive to get as close as possible. The further your comfortable shooting the easier it will be to get a shot though.

The problem is, shooting critters is nothing like shooting a target. Things happen in the wild that are out of your control.

While a 70 yard shot on an elk-sized target is "doable" whether you ethically should attempt such a shot on an actual elk is a different story.

Just as an example, if you go to about 13:30 in this video you'll see a buck duck the string at 43 yards, resulting in a wounded and lost animal. The chances of something similar going wrong increases with every yard.

http://vimeo.com/montanawild/episode-1-2011

For antelope, my max is 60 yards.

For a bigger animal like a deer, I am comfortable at 90 yards.

For a really big bodied animal like an elk, 130-150 yards is easy.

The larger animals give you much greater chance of hitting them. Plus, the farther they are, the less chance you will spook them and have them jump the string.

Geometry, how does it work?

Last edited:
For antelope, my max is 60 yards.

For a bigger animal like a deer, I am comfortable at 90 yards.

For a really big bodied animal, 130-150 yards is easy.

The larger animals give you much greater chance of hitting them. Plus, the farther they are, the less chance you will spook them and have them jump the string.

Geometry, how does it work?

Geometry???

Jose's new Kenetreks.;)

huntingboots_zps5546d713.jpg

Yes...foam is definitely different "for some guys" than an animal. Some guys have nerves of steel... but still... foam doesn't usually move.

On foam, I'm good to 70 yards on a deer sized kill zone. On deer or elk...I'm good to about 15 feet. Sucks to be me....

Looking forward to changing that sometime between tommorrow and Sunday the 30th though... I'll take a 45ish yard shot... would much prefer 35 or less though!!!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back