Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

log splitter

sbhooper, that's how we heated our home when growing up. My dad was an arborist in Nebraska so we always had access to good firewood...I guess that is why I was so interested in getting back to that heat.

I've seen those LeverAxe things and a lot of people love them.

I have used a wood stove for primary heat since 1984. Never owned a splitter.

I must admit,when I was splitting 4-6 cords of red oak a year I rented a splitter.
Whatever brand had a honda engine...

10678636_292133587641872_925245765805122604_n.jpg

We burn wood. The old saying goes, wood heats you three times, when you cut it, when you split it, and when you burn it. Despite the work, there is no better feeling on a cold wet day than coming inside to the wood heat roaring. Like a few others said do not worry about the brand of splitter as much as the engine on it, also consider a splitter that can be run parrallel to the ground, or vertical. Sometimes lifting logs onto the splitter is the hardest part. If you have a tractor or skid loader consider getting a grapple bucket. We cut the logs in the woods, drag them to a field or yard and lift them off the ground with the grapple bucket to cut into firewood pieces. Your back will thank you. A dump trailer is really nice to have if you are doing a lot of splitting away from where you will be stacking it. If you new residence does not have it, get a carbon monoxide detector by the woodstove and have someone, or yourself check chimney annually before your first fire.

I like the looks of that leveraxe, but I'll bet that it would not work well on elm, either. That stuff is hideous!

I spent a few minutes (ok hours) on Youtube watching videos. It seems that the guy Wranglerstar has some of the better content for splitting tools. He hated the leveraxe due to the cheap build and handle vibrations. I don't agree with a lot of his philosophy/religious stuff but he seems to know his axes.

View attachment 66487

We burn wood. The old saying goes, wood heats you three times, when you cut it, when you split it, and when you burn it. Despite the work, there is no better feeling on a cold wet day than coming inside to the wood heat roaring. Like a few others said do not worry about the brand of splitter as much as the engine on it, also consider a splitter that can be run parrallel to the ground, or vertical. Sometimes lifting logs onto the splitter is the hardest part. If you have a tractor or skid loader consider getting a grapple bucket. We cut the logs in the woods, drag them to a field or yard and lift them off the ground with the grapple bucket to cut into firewood pieces. Your back will thank you. A dump trailer is really nice to have if you are doing a lot of splitting away from where you will be stacking it. If you new residence does not have it, get a carbon monoxide detector by the woodstove and have someone, or yourself check chimney annually before your first fire.

A big dump trailer is some of the best money that I ever spent. I fill it up and park it by the basement door (walk in). As I empty the trailer, I just raise the box to move the wood to the rear. It sure saves a lot of individual hauling.

Every little bit helps, since I usually burn 8+ cords a year (estimated, it may be more).

You are a Montanan?
If you are cutting your own fir and larch, it splits nice once it is dry, axe, maul, wedges, will do and be kinda fun hehe
if you cut anything other than fir, larch, lodgepole, spruce, then you will want a splitter.
oz

This is all I use, and it is almost comical how efficient it is!!
http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Gardening-and-Yard-Care/Axes-and-Mauls/X27-Super-Splitting-Axe-36

You can either use a heavy maul and rely on weight, or use the Fiskars and rely on speed, sharpness and the "teflon" type coating.

That is the one I ordered last week.
I can either stick a heavy maul & wedge into damp Ponerosa and beat with sledge or take a few more swings and have it pop in half with the Gerber 2 1/2lb,which is made by Fiskars. Always have like Fiskars for pruning tools. The teflon coating lasts and the axe does not stick in the round much.
Found some new handles for my old Plumb axes I'll mount,but they will be for kindling or show now.
I pretty much just burn pinion,junipers and ponderosa or fir if I can find it with some AZ white oak for all night burn.
All split easy with these axes,lucky me.

You are a Montanan?
If you are cutting your own fir and larch, it splits nice once it is dry, axe, maul, wedges, will do and be kinda fun hehe
if you cut anything other than fir, larch, lodgepole, spruce, then you will want a splitter.
oz

It splits even nicer when it's -20! Usually an axe is sufficient when it's this cold.

Fiskars X27 these things split some serious wood.
Softwoods at least, the only hardwood I ever see is Birch.

The fiskers axe is awesome!! I have an maul and wedge that I use when I want to burn off some energy but have a splitter for the real wood splitting. I agree that getting one that will go vertical is a must. If not rig up a pulley system to move big rounds on the splitter. We live in the south but burn wood for the "real" heat feeling that a heat pump just cant provide. Also, we use lint from the dryer mixed with wax for a our fire starter..

I'm still using a maul and maybe a couple metal wedges for the tough stuff. Luckily we can heat the house all year with 3 cords here on the coast.

wow lots of support for Fiskar/Gerber axes. I have their hatchet as part of a lightweight system for winter camping and have damaged the blade just using it on small branches. Maybe the quality has been improved in the last 2 couple years.

My house is by wood. We replaced the stove originally installed with a Quadra Fire 7100 and it kicks arse.

I have a little electric splitter that, for all intents and purpose, kicks the living sheets off a gas splitter. Kindling is a sinch! (edit - oops, I mean, "cinch"... I think.) Time alone is a massive saver over watching the snail speed driven gas splitter go to work. I've on occasion, and it is obvious occasions - such as a 20 foot diameter redwood round to split, it was unable to split. Other occasions such as good sized knots, run into problems... Otherwise, I am amazed at how well it operates. Here is a link to the splitter via Murdoch's video review: http://www.murdochs.com/shop/timber-champ-7-ton-kinetic-log-splitter-electric/ watch the fun little video of the young gal splitting about double - triple the rounds as the gas splitter.

All joking aside, it works surprisingly well.

Last edited:
wow lots of support for Fiskar/Gerber axes. I have their hatchet as part of a lightweight system for winter camping and have damaged the blade just using it on small branches. Maybe the quality has been improved in the last 2 couple years.
Like most things these days it depends on who finished it before shipping or how well it was finished.
I have seen new sharp Gerbers & new poorly finished.
File , then hone and you should be able to shave with it. Watch a video if you do not know how to sharpen tools properly.It can make all the difference in the world.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back