Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Liver Friendly Back Pack Meals and Snacks

bigbuck247

Recently found out I need to be on a liver friendly diet ( Low sodium, low sugar, good fats, etc). That throws mountain house meals out basically because of the crazy amounts of sodium in them. Any recommendations on snacks and foods that would be good for this? TIA

it may be worth making your own dehydrated meals and sealing them in mylar bags.

Most mass produced meals are going to be fairly high in sodium. Wild Zora (previously Paleo Meals to Go) can be lower in sodium but their calorie count is a bit lower so you will likely need to add something to get the energy your body needs. If you double them you're into mountain house levels of sodium

i'm no doctor

but i feel like when a doc says low sodium diet what he really means is don't eat more than you need. and that gets complicated when youre backpacking - you don't need more sodium in your body, but you definitely need more sodium than you should normally eat to maintain how much you should actually have in you're body. being stingy or outright avoiding sodium on a multi day backpack trip could cause even more problems i'd think

but, hard boiled eggs and lots of unsalted mixed nuts.. hard cheese stays good forever in a backpack - all some of my favorite hunting snack (except for the unsalted part). not exactly light food though

i'm no doctor

but i feel like when a doc says low sodium diet what he really means is don't eat more than you need. and that gets complicated when youre backpacking - you don't need more sodium in your body, but you definitely need more sodium than you should normally eat to maintain how much you should actually have in you're body. being stingy or outright avoiding sodium on a multi day backpack trip could cause even more problems i'd think

but, hard boiled eggs and lots of unsalted mixed nuts.. hard cheese stays good forever in a backpack - all some of my favorite hunting snack (except for the unsalted part). not exactly light food though
I am hoping Randy may see this thread. I found out recently the liver issue he talks about on shows at times is the same condition I have so it would be nice to get his opinion. I know he talks a lot about hydration. I agree nutritional needs in the mountains hunting will be drastically different than your normal diet.

I am hoping Randy may see this thread. I found out recently the liver issue he talks about on shows at times is the same condition I have so it would be nice to get his opinion. I know he talks a lot about hydration. I agree nutritional needs in the mountains hunting will be drastically different than your normal diet.

based on what i watch that guy eat while hunting on youtube my guess is you have little to worry about

pack some space ice cream dilly bars and a costco bag of m&ms and call it a trip ;)

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back