Little Crittergitters First Bear!

thecrittergitter

With the Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks putting a rule in place that allows 10 year olds the opportunity to hunt bears with a mentor, there was no question what Braden wanted to spend his time doing this spring. We both knew that finding much time would be difficult being in full swing of baseball season. Braden would learn though, that sometimes you don’t have to be out there all the time, you just have to be out there at the right time!
With the recent acquisition of a new kid (a high school freshman) to the family, as well as doubling the size of my sign company in recent months, coaching baseball was only one of the items that decreased the opportunity to chase bears this spring. At the very end of April, I had some work to do in NW Montana that couldn’t get put off any longer. It just so happens to be that the work wasn’t too awful far from some good bear hunting After working until about 5 pm each day, my good buddy Cody and I met up for a quick evening hunt to see what we could find.
On the second evening of glassing, we had an incredible 6 bear night, one of which was a dandy, and in a spot that would be easy to get a 10 year old kid on! So, the next morning, I scrambled like crazy trying to figure out how to get my 10 year old son over 300 miles from home on a couple hours’ notice A huge thanks to the family and friends that made this possible by running my boy halfway across the state, so he could be there in time for that evenings hunt.
Excitement was high for Cody and I because we were very confident in finding that bear again. The night prior, he came out on the edge of a clearing and bedded there! We were hoping for a similar situation with Braden along! We took off after work and hit our old gated logging road at about 6 pm. We packed up the gear and started our hike in for the evening.

Attachments

• Hiking in 2.jpg
    Hiking in 2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 786
  • Hiking in 3.jpg
    Hiking in 3.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 783
  • Safety Check.jpg
    Safety Check.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 785
About ½ mile out, we stopped to glass for an hour or so. As we glassed, I told Braden to lay down with my 330 Dakota rifle and practice dry firing at rocks on the opposite hillside as he may need to shoot my rifle this evening. After about 15 dry fires, he said he was ready for a bear to walk out!

Attachments

• Braden n Rifle.jpg
    Braden n Rifle.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 779
  • Braden Smile.jpg
    Braden Smile.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 777
  • Dry Fire Practice.jpg
    Dry Fire Practice.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 780
As we hit the last hour of daylight, Cody and I decided to pack up and head to the other spot that we found the bear the night before. As we were approaching the clearing, Braden got excited and suddenly said, “I see him dad, I see him”!! Cody, Braden, and I all snuck up to a small opening about 60 yards away. Cody and I couldn’t believe the bear was literally bedded in the same place as the night before!

Attachments

• Bedded bear 2.jpg
    Bedded bear 2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 785
  • Bedded Bear.jpg
    Bedded Bear.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 782
I told Braden to lay down behind the rifle and get comfortable. I set up the spotting scope right next to him and zeroed in on the bear. I confirmed that it was indeed the same mature boar from the night before and told Braden he was a shooter. Braden got in tight behind the rifle, which I honestly thought was going to buck him hard enough to get scoped, and confirmed he was on the bear. I ranged the bear at 335 yards and dialed in for 2.5 minutes on the turret. I told Braden to get the crosshair right on the bears chin and drop the crosshair about a foot to the base of the neck. I jumped in behind the spotter and heard the safety click off. I told him as soon as the bear looks left or right, let him have it! Just as I watched the bear slightly look left, the rifle rang my ears and I watched the mist and hair explode right on the money. Thwack! The bear slammed his head to the dirt and never even got up! Lots of high fives and excitement for this kid! I was so proud of him for his composure in making a perfect shot with a rifle that quite honestly would scare most kids! I certainly would have been one of those kids that would have said no thanks to a rifle pushing a 225 grain bullet at 3000 fps I am definitely one super proud dad! I am very thankful that I got to share an incredible experience with him and also with our great friend Cody. One evening that will be tough to top for a while!

Attachments

• Braden Bear 1.jpg
    Braden Bear 1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 785
  • Braden n Dad 2.jpg
    Braden n Dad 2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 787
A few more pics:)

Attachments

• Braden Bear 4.jpg
    Braden Bear 4.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 788
  • Thank you Bear.jpg
    Thank you Bear.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 785
  • Tuckered out.jpg
    Tuckered out.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 782
Ruining him at a young age. 😉 The kid does have ice in his veins though. To be able to shoot a big gun like that and not flinch is pretty awesome. I can attest to the guns accuracy though. Tack driver

Good stuff. That's awesome. I doesn't get any better than spending good quality time with your "boys".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back