Lightweight Rain wear.....

Moosie

Grand poopa
Alright, Talk to me ya Experts. If you were to get some Real lightweight rain wear, What would you get, and why would you get it. I have good rain suit but it's Friggin Heavy. Need one to Backpack in.

Thanx !!

Hey, what's that new stuff you see plastered all over the outdoors channels.......guaranteed waterproof.......looks dang near like spandex, LOL......supposed to be tuff and silent.............anybody know the name of that stuff ??

I like the Patagonia softshells. They're not 100% 'waterproof', ie a hurricane could force water through, but their breathable. Hard part is finding hunter friendly colors. I've also heard good things from guys in SE AK about Cabela's Revolution Fleece with Dry Plus and it comes in camo if that's important to you.

Don't go light weight moosie. IMO the bigger heavier the parka the better. Especially for loooooong heavy packs out.

Any gore-tex shell without a liner is super light. Mine is made by Columbia. Its a little noisy, and not as nice as lined ones. But for backpacking, it'd compact and light.

Tbone, Are you saying I should have looked for one"BEFORE" the Sheep hunt ? :D :D

Mtmiller, I was looking at FrogToggs and Although many people said they were the Chit, No body had a pair :confused: so I didn't get any.

Never heard of the stuff you meantioned IminRut. Athough My Skin Is Waterproof too :p

Pointer, Do you own a Pair of Panti-conas ;) Seriously though, I like the Idea of "Breathable". I don't get Rainwear, Because most of it I'm jsut as wet inside from Sweating. Although this year I started bringing an Extra set of cloths when I get to the top of the mountain I change to get dry and stay warm.

Don't listen to hunters.....

Go over to REI and check out their shells. I have one of the "Elements" by REI and it is awesome. There is a review over on this site... (and also a review of Frog Toggs)
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Rain Gear/Jackets and Pants/

But to all these items, the secret is layering. Start with PolyPro next to the skin, then Fleece, then your shell. If you need more warmth, go to the next level of PolyPro undershirt, then add another fleece if you need.

If you can keep the sweat "wicked" off of you, you will be plenty warm for sitting and glassing after a hike up a ridge.

You can't Wick a Waterfall from my body (Sweat that is not the One I fell into). It depends on the Hike but I've enen tried to wear jsut my Body Armour shirt and nothing else and I am Wet as Heck sometimes.

Thanx for the Link, I'll go check it out....

Not to get off the subject but is fleece better than the wool for the 2nd layer? And what about the MT050. I have heard mixed reviews about it. Anybody using this?

Yep, I have a Patagonia soft shell (they have an outlet in SLC). With it's pockets open it breathes really well and I stood in the shower for 10min and no water got through.

Look at the Dimension and White Smoke jackets:
http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC/Pgo...&cgrfnbr=366078&pg=0&promo_cat=&promo_cat_id=

I second 'Gunner's suggestion. IMO, the backpacking/mountaineering crowd has better clothes than hunters.

Wally,

Where has REI ever said anything about not wearing gore tex while hunting???

The local store has even held seminars for sheep hunting and how to ultra-light pack.

It is a Co-Op, and as such, they cater to their customers.

Does Patagonia have an anti-hunting position that you can link?

PS> I gots to get them white geese back to you, or get you over to try again for the darker geese. About 20 were in the field Saturday when I drove by.

OK Gunner,
I'll re-phrase that.
Moosie,
Don't forget that Patagonia and REI are HUGE proponents of "NON" consumptive use of our resources (like hunting, where something actually dies).
Rock climb, bike, flyfish (how many catch and keep), ski, dive, blah, blah blah are all OK.
They both are anti: logging, mining, oil and gas exploration.
If it looks like a duck....................you know the rest.
I don't need to check them out any further.
My $ are and will be spent with someone who has the gonads to express they support "blood sports".
WD

Wally- Yvon Chinourd (sp?) the founder of Patagonia is a hunter himself as I've been in contact with someone who's hunted with him. I can see your stance, but don't agree with it. Many of the things REI/Patagonia support I support as a hunter and a conservationist. Good habitat is not bad for hunting. I would willing get my gear from a more hunter 'friendly' company if they produced as high a quality of stuff for the same price. I haven't found any yet.

Moosie, Frogg Toggs are Great at keeping you dry...but they did'nt stand up to the wear and tear of a mountain hunt. A guy I took last year had a pair, after one day they were shredded on the legs. I think they would be great as a fishing rainwear.

REI does carry Columbia which makes hunting apparel, though they don't carry the camo lines. It is interesting that more than one garment from Patagonia has been highlighted in articles on hunting clothes in the magazine 'Successful Hunter'.

I'm fine with them not actively/openly supporting hunting. However, they make gear that fits my needs and at a price I can afford, so I use it. The stuff works.

If you don't use it, cool, more deals for me! :D

Back