MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Light coffee maker for the backcountry

I'm very surprised at how many support a company that goes out of their way to show its support of anti hunting. Maybe it doesn't mean a whole lot if they don't get my $3.50 for a cup of Joe, but if all sportsmen/women made a stand and stopped throwing money at these lefties we could get somewhere.

I know Starbucks isn't a fan of open carry, perhaps even concealed carry, but I could not find anything regarding an anti-hunting stance by Starbucks.

Starbucks coffee always tastes burned to me, and for the price they charge it should be heavenly. It isn't. Here in Denver, we have a local chain, Daz Bog, which they do have a good tasting but strong cup of bust ass. Their storefront is sometimes run by alternative-types who may be into hiking and might be a source of info.

I'd prefer some neat and light method to make an OK cup of Joe while in the backcountry. I've tried some instant coffee packs and found them bitter. I just bought a jar of Medaglia D'oro instant espresso as suggested earlier. I'll try that ahead of the season and if it's acceptable then I'll pre measure some scoops into snack bags to cut the weight of the jar.

Damn is right, but when the Sandman is trying to close your eyes involuntarily, and seconds seem like hours, you will literally do anything to stay awake at your post.

Including dip on one side, and instant coffee on the other.......

But to make this relevant, I am a fan of the Via packs also - and there are several different blends now.

So much respect for that, and yes Via packets for me as well. Costco trip before the season sets me up.

I use my Jetboil and those Folgers coffee bags (like tea bags). You can pretty much make it as strong or weak as you want with one bag. They are light, convenient and, in essence, mess-less.

I have the Snowpeak pour over that uses the paper filters, a small bag of Dunkin doughnuts french vanilla and I am ready to go. I like it so much that I parked the mr. coffee at home and use it instead.

Can't beat cowboy coffee in the backcountry. Just boil the grounds and water together, and add a dash of cold water to sink the grounds. I did, however, reduce to even further minimalism, and tried the instant crystals. the cheap or old ones are terrible. but there was a small tube of gourmet instant coffee that was palatable (good even?), I think it was nescafe.

Just don't do what I did the first time with freeze dried coffee. Using a corning ware perk pot over the fire, I put in the same amount of freeze dried grounds as you would with fresh ground. The four of us raised our tin cups for a toast of the first morning coffee, drank and simultaneously spit it out. :p

Trader Joe's has pretty good instant coffee in packets with cream and sugar mixed that I like a lot.

We used these on our antelope hunt this year. They have good flavor and are inexpensive, but I feel are a bit weak so I used two for a small cup of coffee. I'll keep using them unless I find something better...

I have had good luck with a jet boil French press if you already use a jet boil. Next to nothing for weight increase and makes good coffee.

^ this is my experience as well tho the Starbucks Via has done the trick just fine and with the above you still have to to carry grounds.

I also have a caffeine addiction so on day trips I use the press and good beans; on over nighters when space & weight is limited I go Via.

I have a french press/mug that I bought years ago at Gander Mtn. it was on clearance for like $3 or something so I couldn't pass it up. I don't really take it hunting as I'm not a total addict, but I've used it camping numerous times. You really need a coarse grind or else you're gonna be drinking a lot of sand. Powdered creamer is a must for me, black coffee is too hard on my stomach with my acid reflux.

I used one of these #2 cone filter plastic gizmos. Put a #2 filter, a couple of tablespoons of coffee then slowly pour hot water with the gizmo over a coffee cup. I found this thing for about $2-3 at a Marshalls, though you can buy it from spamazon for about the same. The cone filter and grounds gets packed out with the rest of the trash making easy cleanup, but adds some trash weight. I thought about digging a pit and tossing it in, but I don't leave anything behind.

41TCDg9J2XL._SY450_.jpg

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back