Light coffee maker for the backcountry

I have had good luck with a jet boil French press if you already use a jet boil. Next to nothing for weight increase and makes good coffee.

i just take the coffee filter bags from the hotels I stay at all year. most are 4 servings or so, i carry a 1 qt tea pot and drop the filter bag in. bring to boil, and coffee is on.

I had a an aupair from Italy that brought me one of these along with some coffee. I like the quality of espresso, but depending on how much coffee you drink you could be hauling quite a bit of grounds.

As much of a coffee snob as I am, it's hard to get away from via for the best combination of light and convenient.

I used a pour over for a while then a french press, both made good to great coffee, but I just can't get away from the Via's anymore. They're just too damn convenient.

i like this better than via. and it is not sold at illicit drug prices per serving like Via.

4 bucks for a jar. I find it at regular grocery stores like City Market here in Colo.

give it a try! I use a french press at home but gave up on such luxuries while hunting. i need strong decent coffee in the field and folgers is just bad coffee.

image.jpg

I am a coffee & water drinker.
I have a very light French press I got from REI that is main source packing along with Madellia de Oro instant. Have taken CharBucks via but man it's stupid expensive a dose.
In camp I have a big Cabellas stainless percolator that is always on the Coleman stove & espresso maker for fussy coffee.
I have used the motel bags in a pinch because I usually have to find a AMPM to get a full dose of bad coffee...lol

Last edited:
I used to have an REI Double Shot Press mug. It was nice to have some fresh French Press in the tent. Nowadays I just use the Starbucks Via packets. They travel easy and they actually make good dark coffee.

Last edited:
Safeway and Folgers both make single coffee bags like tea bags. We use them to make coffee by the cup or by whole pot. Just heat up water then dunk the bag for a few.

I'll second the Folgers coffee bags. They aren't 1/2 bad. I have a friend who swears by the Starbucks Via packs that Nameless Range mentioned, but I've never tried them.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back