lieghtweight backpacking waders

teamhoyt

anybody have any ideas for this? just looking for something super light for creek crossing and such. It seems I remember seeing something quite awhile ago about some, maybe they were even disposable.

I sometimes pack my stocking foot waders without boots or take off my boots/socks/pants and cross the creek. It's a bit chilly with bare legs but I don't have to pack any extra weight. Obviously in freezing temps it may not be a good option!

Seems like I have seen people use large, heavy duty garbage bags. One pulled up and around each leg. I haven't tried it, but maybe someone who has can weigh in.

I keep 2 large heavy duty garbage bags for this reason. No need to take the boots off just pull them on and hold them up when crossing. Try to avoid sharp rocks. The bags come in handy for a few other uses also if needed. Sometimes I will put my pack in one for the night to keep it dry.

FWIW, I would avoid using plastic bags to cross water. That is not a recipe for good traction and if you slip then you are in deeper water (haha) than you started in. You could try frog togs, they are cheap and lightweith.

FWIW, I would avoid using plastic bags to cross water. That is not a recipe for good traction and if you slip then you are in deeper water (haha) than you started in. You could try frog togs, they are cheap and lightweith.

I've crossed many creeks in garbage bags. They work really well.

Sealskinz.
https://www.sealskinz.com/US/black-friday/mid-weight-knee-length-sock
Two weeks ago I was completely surprised by the performance of something I tried that may work for your application too.
I talked my family into doing a hike through the Buckskin/Paria slot canyon during Thanksgiving break. Highs around 50, lows in the mid 30's. We were in water almost half of the 20+ miles. Most of the water was ankle to knee deep, but it went above the belt in a half dozen holes. Waders simply weren't a good option. My wife, daughter, and I all used Sealskinz and sandals or cross trainers for the entire trip. We were beyond happy with the performance of the Sealskinz. They basically worked like neoprene and were reasonably warm even when wet, yet they were comfortable even when we weren't in the water.
The best thing is that these aren't just a single purpose piece of equipment. They are going to be my new winter boot socks, but they'll also go in my hunting pack fairly often if there's any chance I might want to push through anything that gets my feet wet. I provided the link to the model that I bought, but I'll probably be buying some other variations sooner or later.

I have used wiggys on many deer and elk hunts, they are light weight and pack into a small stuff sack. They are perfect for crossing those small creeks that are to wide to jump and are knee deep, with that said they are not designed to be worn outside of the crossing area, they don't handle brush well, they slip over your boots and cloths with ease and come off easier yet, so put them on to cross then take off on other side and pack away, money well spent.

I did check out the wiggy's the other day, they were the best thing I could see, I just thought I had seen something else also a time ago. I just can't remember what they were for the life of me. Thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming if anyone else has a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScatterGunHamilton
Back