Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Leupold vx2 vs Vx3i

jeffraines

So I'm looking for a scope for a new rifle in 257 weatherby. I have a vortex and some nikons in my safe currently but want something simpler, and for lack of a better word different. I was looking at the Leupold vx2 4-12x40 and Vx3i 4.5-14x40. The concern I have is low light performance - is the Vx3i really that much better? Or will I be fine going with the vx2? Shots will be within 500 yards and 500 is pushing it. That's more like a once in a blue moon field shot and maybe steel/paper only.

So I'm looking for a scope for a new rifle in 257 weatherby. I have a vortex and some nikons in my safe currently but want something simpler, and for lack of a better word different. I was looking at the Leupold vx2 4-12x40 and Vx3i 4.5-14x40. The concern I have is low light performance - is the Vx3i really that much better? Or will I be fine going with the vx2? Shots will be within 500 yards and 500 is pushing it. That's more like a once in a blue moon field shot and maybe steel/paper only.

I did a comparison of the Vx-3i, Zeiss HD5 Conquest and Swarovski Z3 in low light conditions. HD5 was the clear winner with the ZX coming in 2nd. Z3 was no where's near either of them but the Z5 was great and the price reflected it. If you can afford it Id go with the Zeiss, about $900ish. But the Vx-3i wasn't bad either.

That's a bit more than I'm looking to spend at the moment. I considered the z3 for a short time but I really don't want to pay that much. I have a pair of SLCs so I know the swaro glass is definitely top notch.

I too am in your situation, I have the Prostaff 5 3.5-14 I am kicking around upgrading to a vx-3i. My hold up is do I get one with a cds or without a cps.

I've had both the VX2 & the VX3. Not the VX3i

I kept the VX3 and sent the VX2 down the road. I did find that light transmission in lower light was much better. Certainly easier on my eyes.

The difference between the VX3 and the VX3i is noticeable, IMO. It's good step up in clarity without the corresponding increase in price.

Last edited:
It's hard to beat the VX3i and for the little extra $$ I would get it over the VX2

I have the Vx3i 4.5-14x40. I have used it with great success out west and back east, in the open and in the timber at all times of the day. Im pleased. My uncle has it also, but in 50mm. Out of curiosity, I tested them both at dusk while we were walking out one day. The 50mm had the advantage in the last few minutes of light but not enough for me to change now. He likes the increased brightness and I like the lower profile. We are both happy. I have had an older Vx1 and it is deffinitely a step down from the 3i, I assume the Vx2 would be somewhere in between. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Go to the store and check them out. Ask if you can try them outside in low light. Then you just have to decide if the cost is worth the difference.

The VX2 you buy today is an excellent value and plenty of scope for legal hunting conditions. If you are worried about mod light go with the 50mm objective. I picked up the Zeiss HD5 3-15x50 when they were on sale for $700 and it is terrific, much better than the vx3i but they stray at $900 now. I just bought a Meopta 3.5-10 for just over $300 for a 25-06 and it is also nicer than either of the Leupolds. You sound like you are interested in more magnification for the Weatherby.

I too am in your situation, I have the Prostaff 5 3.5-14 I am kicking around upgrading to a vx-3i. My hold up is do I get one with a cds or without a cps.

I have the VX-# and the VX-3i with CDS and love them both, and feel they are priced fairly. The CDS is great and I love mine, really pays off when you have the time to get a range with a rangefinder, which is pretty important to a fellow like me since I am a poor estimator of range about half the time!

I think you better do a little research on that, or better yet look thru one. A one inch tube is a one inch tube is a one inch tube. It will only let in 1 inch worth of light. Do a side by side comparison at a store at low light, then get back to me on what you see. The light transmission % may be rated the same on the scopes but you will find the bigger diameter scope will gather more usable light inside it. Don't take my advice, google it!!

Back