Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Leupold reticle

prhunter

Looking to put a new scope on my 308win rifle.

Which Leupold reticle do you all prefer, the long range reticle (with the dots) or the Boone and Crocket reticle?

Any input will be appreciated.

PS Should I consider the Leupold CDS?

I have the B&C reticle in a 3.5x10 and it seems to work well. It is a bit light for my eyes, but I get by. Sighted in at 200, the second line is dead on for me at 300 with my .308. On a 7mag, I used the scope in fading light to shoot an elk at 400, so it has treated me pretty well.

I only have experience with the standard duplex reticle but I'm sending two of my Leupold scopes in to have the reticles replaced with the long range duplex. The Boone & Crockett seems a little cluttered but admittedly it might be better if you're shooting in wind. I just like the simplicity of the holdover dots.

I only have experience with the standard duplex reticle but I'm sending two of my Leupold scopes in to have the reticles replaced with the long range duplex. The Boone & Crockett seems a little cluttered but admittedly it might be better if you're shooting in wind. I just like the simplicity of the holdover dots.

Cost?

One thing to remember with the B&C type reticle. The dots are normally adjusted to when the scope is set on the highest power. The CDS is ok with what ever power you have it at. Some scopes may differ but most I'm aware of work this way.
Dan

I just never could like a scope with multiple dots or wires...just too cluttered.

I have shot dot reticles for a long time and like the leupold dot the best for a hunting rifle. Its big enough to find it in low light, and for me it grabs my eye and give me a more precise aiming point. The leupold dot is also small enough that it doesn't cover a big-game animal even at 500+.

I shot a target dot a bit for coyotes, but the target dot is really small, too small I think in particular low light.

For me its leupold dot and spinning turrets over multiple dots or wires.

The B&C, or Long Range reticle will serve you well, but Mt is right. If you want to go past 500, you are better off figuring the ballistics and going with a turret. In that case, personally, I have started using the SWFA line of scopes. Their reliability and repeatability is more consistent than the Leupold. Leupold is a great set and forget scope, but there have been lots of failures as far as its ability to track reliably for people spinning turrets.

Some of the BDC types of scopes are pretty cluttered to look through, but I do not find either of the Leupold reticles to be cluttered, or distracting at all.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back