MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Let's see your goat!

There was a nanny with the billy that BOY shot last year that I would've taken without a doubt. His billy was just over 9", but the nanny, though appreciably thinner, looked longer to me through the spotter.

Tbone,

I saw some nannies that had 9+" horns.

I was pretty much set on killing a billy, but if it would have come down to the last days of the hunt in late November...I would not have ruled out killing a nanny. The tags in MT are tough to come by, and I'd waited a long time to draw a tag to go without one.

I'd say concentrate on a billy.

T Bone

When I did my goat hunt a number of years ago, as we flew in, we spotted a loner on top of the mountain we intended on hunting. The following day we climbed up above it and my partner shot it (several times) before it took the death jump. My partner was real stoked about getting his first billy and I was happy for him. We make the descent to retrieve it and Uh Oh, it isn't a billy, but a nanny. We both were convinced this goat had a nut sack...boy were we wrong. The horns ended up being 8", but what we really found odd was the fact it was bedded by itself in some nasty out croppings.

About an hour later I was climbing after my goat and ended up taking a beauty, but not before taking two spills down the mountain myself. Talk about being shook up. Anyhow, here is the pic...you've probably seen it a time or two, but...

jimgoat_best.jpg

Thanks MNHunter.

TB1

10" on the long, 9 3/4" on the short (broke tip) and both bases were 5 3/4". Best critter to date.

There was a nanny with the billy that BOY shot last year that I would've taken without a doubt. His billy was just over 9", but the nanny, though appreciably thinner, looked longer to me through the spotter.

I was up with BOY earlier that week and we almost took a nannie. She was HUGE. After seeing BOY"S billie and measuring it out at 9", that nannie cleared 10 for sure (obviously, however, the bases were smaller). We snuck up on her four separate times. Had I been carrying the tag, she'd been dead. When it comes to goats I don't think it matters that much unless a suttle horn shape difference and goat balls are that important to you. (although I would like one of each some day:D )

Ditto here, I could care less if its a boy or girl. Just that it's got a nice set of horns and nice hair.

I'll guess....since a mature goat looks to be at or slightly above that of a decent muley, I would think that meat + horns/full cape would be somewhere in the 80-105# pound category. Probably 15# less if you were jsut carrying out enough cae for a good shoulder mount. How far off (having never shot/packed one) am I??

When are you out the door Tyson? Will you be taking llamas again or that other beast of burden, Oscar?:D

Best of luck and be safe.

I hit the road Friday. Taking my Dad along, it'll be good to have company. It'll only be a 13 mile pack in this time. Based on last year, we should have our pick of half dozen billies visible from camp.

From the weather forecaset looks like weather is going to show. Hopefully it won't dump too much on us.

Good luck T-bone. Looking forward to another good hunting story and pics from you.

Back