"Let America be America again"

Hangar18

What do John Kerry and Communists have in common?

"Let America be America again," by Langston Hughes <= link to the poem that inspired Kerry's new campaign slogan.

They both find inspiration from Langston Hughes.

http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/895/1/68/
<snip>

From an early age Langston Hughes identified with working-class internationalism and to the role of workers in basic social change.

In 1917 when the Russian working class came to power and withdrew their country from World War I, Langston Hughes and his fellow students at Central High School in Cleveland held a celebration for the Revolution and its leader V.I. Lenin. . . .

He made clear his admiration for Communists. For instance, he wrote about Mother Ella Reeve Bloor, a leader of the Communist Party USA and a women's rights leader. "She battled the capitalists tooth and nail for seventy years."

<snip>
http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/g_l/hughes/1930s.htm
<snip> That Hughes was, with the exception of Richard Wright, the black writer most identified with the Communist Left during the 1930s is undeniable. Hughes's frequent publication of "revolutionary" poetry in the journals and press of the CPUSA, his activity in Communist-initiated campaigns such as the drive to free the Scottsboro defendants and on behalf of the Spanish Republic, his willingness to lend his name to Communist-led or Communist-influenced organizations (e.g., the John Reed Clubs, the League of Struggle for Negro Rights, the National Negro Congress, the League of Professional Groups for Foster and Ford, the League of American Writers), and his public support of the Soviet Union (including his signing of a statement in 1938 supporting the purges of the Old Bolsheviks and others by Stalin) all marked him as an open member of the Communist Left--whether or not he formally joined the CPUSA. As noted in chapter I, Hughes's Left sympathies antedated the Great Depression. But it is unquestionably true that Hughes's participation in the Left increased astronomically during the 1930s and had a marked impact on the form and content (to use a favorite phrase of Left cultural critics of that time) of Hughes's poetry <snip>

Hangar,

Just out of curiousity, what is wrong with Communism? Not that I am in favor of Communism, but I think it is interesting that somebody is trying to use 1950's McCarthyism via the Internet to try and sway voters. There are many forms of Government, and are we to believe only the form of Democracy practiced by Dubya and Ashcroft is acceptable?

So we should all make sure we don't vote for Kerry, because he lifted a line from Hughes? Seems like we could all "lift a few lines" from Hughes, and probably have a better country, not the ultra-divided one that Dubya has created.
Langston_Hughes.jpg

Langston Hughes (1902 - 1967)

Born in Joplin, Missouri, James Langston Hughes was a member of an abolitionist family. He was the great-great-grandson of Charles Henry Langston, brother of John Mercer Langston, who was the first Black American to be elected to public office, in 1855. Hughes attended Central High School in Cleveland, Ohio, but began writing poetry in the eighth grade, and was selected as Class Poet. His father didn't think he would be able to make a living at writing, and encouraged him to pursue a more practical career. He paid his son's tuition to Columbia University on the grounds he study engineering. After a short time, Langston dropped out of the program with a B+ average; all the while he continued writing poetry. His first published poem was also one of his most famous, "The Negro Speaks of Rivers", and it appeared in Brownie's Book. Later, his poems, short plays, essays and short stories appeared in the NAACP publication Crisis Magazine and in Opportunity Magazine and other publications.

One of Hughes' finest essays appeared in the Nation in 1926, entitled "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain". It spoke of Black writers and poets, "who would surrender racial pride in the name of a false integration," where a talented Black writer would prefer to be considered a poet, not a Black poet, which to Hughes meant he subconsciously wanted to write like a white poet. Hughes argued, "no great poet has ever been afraid of being himself." He wrote in this essay, "We younger Negro artists now intend to express our individual dark-skinned selves without fear or shame. If white people are pleased we are glad. If they aren't, it doesn't matter. We know we are beautiful. And ugly too... If colored people are pleased we are glad. If they are not, their displeasure doesn't matter either. We build our temples for tomorrow, as strong as we know how and we stand on the top of the mountain, free within ourselves."

In 1923, Hughes traveled abroad on a freighter to the Senegal, Nigeria, the Cameroons, Belgium Congo, Angola, and Guinea in Africa, and later to Italy and France, Russia and Spain. One of his favorite pastimes whether abroad or in Washington, D.C. or Harlem, New York was sitting in the clubs listening to blues, jazz and writing poetry. Through these experiences a new rhythm emerged in his writing, and a series of poems such as "The Weary Blues" were penned. He returned to Harlem, in 1924, the period known as the Harlem Renaissance. During this period, his work was frequently published and his writing flourished. In 1925 he moved to Washington, D.C., still spending more time in blues and jazz clubs. He said, "I tried to write poems like the songs they sang on Seventh Street...(these songs) had the pulse beat of the people who keep on going." At this same time, Hughes accepted a job with Dr. Carter G. Woodson, editor of the Journal of Negro Life and History and founder of Black History Week in 1926. He returned to his beloved Harlem later that year.

Langston Hughes received a scholarship to Lincoln University, in Pennsylvania, where he received his B.A. degree in 1929. In 1943, he was awarded an honorary Lit.D by his alma mater; a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1935 and a Rosenwald Fellowship in 1940. Based on a conversation with a man he knew in a Harlem bar, he created a character know as My Simple Minded Friend in a series of essays in the form of a dialogue. In 1950, he named this lovable character Jess B. Simple, and authored a series of books on him.

Langston Hughes was a prolific writer. In the forty-odd years between his first book in 1926 and his death in 1967, he devoted his life to writing and lecturing. He wrote sixteen books of poems, two novels, three collections of short stories, four volumes of "editorial" and "documentary" fiction, twenty plays, children's poetry, musicals and operas, three autobiographies, a dozen radio and television scripts and dozens of magazine articles. In addition, he edited seven anthologies. The long and distinguished list of Hughes' works includes: Not Without Laughter (1930); The Big Sea (1940); I Wonder As I Wander" (1956), his autobiographies. His collections of poetry include: The Weary Blues (1926); The Negro Mother and other Dramatic Recitations (1931); The Dream Keeper (1932); Shakespeare In Harlem (1942); Fields of Wonder (1947); One Way Ticket (1947); The First Book of Jazz (1955); Tambourines To Glory (1958); and Selected Poems (1959); The Best of Simple (1961). He edited several anthologies in an attempt to popularize black authors and their works. Some of these are: An African Treasury (1960); Poems from Black Africa (1963); New Negro Poets: USA (1964) and The Best Short Stories by Negro Writers (1967).

Published posthumously were: Five Plays By Langston Hughes (1968); The Panther and The Lash: Poems of Our Times (1969) and Good Morning Revolution: Uncollected Writings of Social Protest (1973); The Sweet Flypaper of Life with Roy DeCarava (1984).

Langston Hughes died of cancer on May 22, 1967. His residence at 20 East 127th Street in Harlem, New York has been given landmark status by the New York City Preservation Commission. His block of East 127th Street was renamed "Langston Hughes Place".

EG, communism isn't a government. It's an economic system. It tends to go hand in hand with dictatorships. It doesn't work. It expects people to work hard, but get nothing more for their hard work than a lazy person doing the same job.
Our government is a Republic, not a democracy. The capitalistic system we live in, let's people enjoy the fruits of their labor. You work for what you get. It makes people strive to do better, and work harder.

So we should all make sure we don't vote for Kerry, because he lifted a line from Hughes?
No. This is just an FYI so we all know where Kerry draws inspiration. You can use the information however you see fit.

Nope, I look at quotes from our founding fathers and other political figures, rock music lyrics, and Charles Barkley.

I find most poetry too boring even for the crapper.

The only difference between poetry and rock music is an Amplifier and a Bass....

Would you fault an African-American in 1930's USA for supporting other forms of government? Remember, our government in the 1930's was not quite fair in the distribution of "Justice for All".

...and a lead guitar, and an audience full of scantily clad women.

Would you fault an African-American in 1930's USA for supporting other forms of government? Remember, our government in the 1930's was not quite fair in the distribution of "Justice for All".
Better than "Justice for None", as in the estimated 20-40 million people murdered within the borders of the USSR while Stalin was in power.

That still doesn't change the fact that Kerry draws inspiration from the same place a communist does.

Your attempt to spin this as favorable for your candidate of choice is pretty damn funny.

Afro-Americans did not exist in the 30s. They were called Negroes. Today inequality is much less racial and much more economic, or PC driven.
Wouldn't you agree ElkGunner?

That reminds me of something I heard on the radio a long time ago. Here is some inspirational poetry for you EG.

The Hyphen, recorded by John Wayne
Written by John Mitchum & Howard Barnes.

The Hyphen, Webster's Dictionary defines,
Is a symbol used to divide a
compound word or a single word.
So it seems to me that when a man calls himself
An "Afro-American," a "Mexican-American,"
"Italian-American," An "Irish-American," "Jewish-American,"
What he's sayin' is, "I'm a divided American."

Well, we all came from other places,
Different creeds and different races,
To form a nation...to become as one,
Yet look at the harm a line has done -
A simple little line, and yet
As divisive as a line can get.
A crooked cross the Nazis flew,
And the Russian hammer and sickle too-
Time bombs in the lives of Man;
But none of these could ever fan
The fames of hatred faster than
The Hyphen.

The Russian hammer built a wall
That locks men's hearts from freedom's call.
A crooked cross flew overhead
Above twenty million tragic dead-
Among them men from this great nation,
Who died for freedom's preservation.
A hyphen is a line that's small;
It can be a bridge or be a wall.
A bridge can save you lots of time;
A wall you always have to climb.
The road to liberty lies true.
The Hyphen's use is up to you.

Used as a bridge, it can span
All the differences of Man.
Being free in mind and soul
Should be our most important goal.
If you use The Hyphen as a wall,
You'll make your life mean...and small.
An American is a special breed,
Whose people came to her in need.
They came to her that they might find
A world where they'd have peace of mind.
Where men are equal...and something more-
Stand taller than they stood before.

So you be wise in your decision,
And that little line won't cause division.
Let's join hands with one another...
For in this land, each man's your brother.
United we stand...divided we fall.
WE'RE AMERICANS...and that says it all.

johnwayne.jpg

Hangar,

Do you really think that Mr. Hughes, in 1930's America would think that he was treated as "WERE AMERICANS"? He was not allowed into the same school, because of the color of his skin. He did not have the same opportunity, because of his color. To think that Mr. Hughes was the cause of the Divisions is quite naive.

It is pretty funny that in the last two days we have had people point out Kerry's inadequacy based upon his eating a piece of Pizza in the back of an airplane and for lifting a line from a poet laurete and civil rights figure.

Paws,
Thanks for pointing out the language of the '30s, but since I can find any Internet postings from back then, I choose to use the language of today, as that way I won't appear to be racist.

EG

This isn't about any more than Mr. Hughes being a communist at one time in his life, and John Kerry crafting his campaign slogan from one of his poems. I pointed out a connection, that's it.

He was not allowed into the same school, because of the color of his skin. He did not have the same opportunity, because of his color. To think that Mr. Hughes was the cause of the Divisions is quite naive.
All minorities were oppressed in the ways you describe, many more in fact. Why didn't all oppressed minorities become communists? Who knows. Mr. Hughes did at one time in his life, probably because he was extremely bright and saw a connection between himself and perpetual working class status. Does that make him a bad person? No.

I don't know where you got that I said he was the cause of any divisions. If you are refering to the Hypenated-Americans poem - That was to simply point out that every citizen of this country is an American first and foremost. If they don't like, they are FREE to leave. I personally don't have a problem with people identifying with their heritage. It had nothing to do with Mr. Hughes. You ought to know by now that I don't mean any more than I say, especially after you got me liquored up on O'Douls. :D

As for your response to Paws, I agree with it.

EG, You are a total fool.. Or should I say totalitarian fool... The principles of Communism destroy the individual need to succeed and the drive to improve one's self. It is impractical in a world where not everyone is motivated equally.

Communism does not create a state where everyone is equal. There are the working class and the ruling class. The state controls everything in your life..when you marry, who you marry, where you work, what you do, how you succeed or not. If it were a viable system, the Soviet Union would have flourished and grown in prosperity instead of languishing for 40 some years and barely getting by.

You need a serious dose of world travel to open your eyes to what real life is like. You need to get out of Your own private Idaho and explore some other cultures. But unfortunately, you are typical of most Gringos who have never been outside of the boundry of the Continental US for anything more that a vacation. You need to see just how good you've got it.. Then, perhaps you'd and Buzz would be a bit more grateful for your opportunities to be so spiteful. Then again, maybe you are excerising your right to disent without realizing how lucky you are to have that right. What a quandry..

:cool:

I hope you are confusing Communism and Communalism..

Hangar,
Does it matter if the "Let America be America" line was written while Hughes was sympathetic to Communists, or afterwards?

Hmmmm DanR, once again, you don't know what you are talking about, but luckily for you, that never slows you down.

Communism was a reaction to the Industrial Revolution, where a people became divided based upon Capital (and Capitalism). The Proletariat could not afford the new machines of the day (looms, Assembly Lines, Steam Engines, etc.) and therefore the workers would never be able to be rewarded for their labor, as they had before. Prior to the Industrial Revoloution, anybody could work harder, and harder, and be compensated more and more. In Capitalism, only the person who invested the Capital would be rewarded for more and more work effort. You would do well to read up a bit on some of the subjects, before you post.

And thanks for the travel advice DanR, that is pretty funny... My guess is that I have spent way more time travelling in the last 10 years than you have. Maybe not, but I would be surprised. But I can tell you, I have seen the standards of living from Denmark in the North to Italy in the South, from China and Japan in the North to Thailand and India in the South. From Canada in the North to Mexico in the South, and next month, I will be able to describe the standards of living in South Africa. So please, don't be such an arrogant old man, and assume I have never travelled, as that is an assumption that just makes you look even dumber and less informed.

Originally posted by ElkGunner:
You would not find any inspiration from any of Hughe's works?
Here is one of his poems I can identify with

Walkers with the Dawn

Being walkers with the dawn and morning,
Walkers with the sun and morning,
We are not afraid of night,
Nor days of gloom,
Nor darkness_
Being walkers with the sun and morning.

Sounds like spring turkey hunting to me.

You reading "retro-history" again?

Believe me, there is a difference between "traveling" and living on the ecomony of a different nation. I apologize for my use of the word travel when what I meant was spend some time living in other countries. There is a marked difference. If, in fact as you indicate, you have lived abroad in all of these places, why the hell haven't you learned anything from it? Are you just naturally ungrateful, or as with many Americans, do you look and not see?

:cool:

Back