Leather slings

I reached out to the guy that has made my gun belts. I love the work that he does, and asked him if could make a couple of slings for me. We talked for awhile on the phone and are going to work together to come up with a design. It’ll be a 1 3/4” sling that will taper down to just under 1 1/2” at the swivels.

150-parkerized-rifle-sling-swivel-set-combatex_1400x.jpeg

It will be a double thickness (6-7 oz), lined and sewn on the inside. Double stitching with soft buffalo leather on the underside, with flesh side exposed to provide more grip. Chicago screws will be brushed stainless steel.

Here’s a look at how the stitching will be. Planning on doing it in a light tan tone.

gubbk__51094.1411140543.jpg

The sling will be one single piece of leather with only 4 holes punched (for the Chicago screws) :

View attachment 205348

I’ll provide updates as it progresses.
That sounds good. Very good. It'll almost be a clone of mine. A quarter inch thinner than mine over the shoulder will be much better I think. Thin enough to stay put yet still sufficiently comfortable. I don't think double stitching is necessary. Single stitch would do the job. Belts are double stitched because they're subject to a lot of strain and twisting. With a sling double stitching will either be so narrow that it's kinda unsightly and/or stitching rows will be almost on top of each other which might defeat the purpose and actually weaken the weld. Single stitching has held up just fine on my sling for thirty years. Doubling the Chicago screws is a good plan. One on each end would certainly be strong enough but two will keep the leather ends from spinning against each other and unscrewing. This was the problem with my sling that resulted in having to lace together one end in the wilderness. Still I strongly suggest buggering the screw threads slightly so you have to use a bit of force when screwing them together. That way they won't come unscrewed easily. For that reason I would suggest softer brass screws over super hard stainless. Also brass will develop a patina that looks better on a classic brown leather sling. Should be a lot cheaper too.

You may want it to be adjustable for at least two lengths: slung on one shoulder for typical carrying and longer for cross body slung. Putting the gun across your back can be useful in situations where you need both hands when moving, i.e. climbing up or across a steep slippery slope, dragging a deer, etc. I have also found that cross slinging my gun to free my arms for swinging can conserve a lot of energy when walking out at night (pendulum effect). Probably saved my bacon twice that I can think of off hand.

Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Last edited:
I recently purchased a couple of very nice rifles, and while they're pieces of art (in my mind) they're also tools for hunting. I've always been a huge fan of leather. I think it's beautiful, long-wearing, and pretty much indestructible. However, I'm not sure how practical it is with today's modern non-leather slings.

Has the days of leather slings gone the way of the Dodo bird? Are you guys still carrying leather slings, and if so, why haven't you dropped them in favor of the newer, lighter, more durable slings?

I guess I'm really asking: "Talk me out of/into leather slings". I won't mind dropping the money on a beautiful, durable, practical leather sling but I don't want it to just be a safe queen.
I use the "soft paracord"" slings on my rifles -- have some of the ""stiff paracord"" that is not as ""carry friendly"" as the soft -- I am not a fan of the leather slings, as they to are stiff and slip off your shoulder__ Monk**

You may want it to be adjustable for at least two lengths: slung on one shoulder for typical carrying and longer for cross body slung. Putting the gun across your back can be useful in situations where you need both hands when moving, i.e. climbing up or across a steep slippery slope, dragging a deer, etc. I have also found that cross slinging my gun to free my arms for swinging can conserve a lot of energy when walking out at night (pendulum effect). Probably saved my bacon twice that I can think of off hand.

Looking forward to seeing the end result!
You have some great points in your email. Thanks!

It will have the ability to variably adjust the length using the slide adjuster in the middle of the sling. I will be able to lengthen/shorten it by positioning it - similar to how a dog collar works.

I gave up on leather slings about 20 years ago. I'm not trying to make a fashion statement with my hunting weapon. I want rapid, reliable functionality. Goes right along with my choice of 'plastic' stocks, matte finish barrel & action.

The past three slings I've put on my rifles have nylon adjustable straps & a neoprene shoulder pad, instant adjustability with just a slight tug on the strap. Grips snug on the shoulder, impervious to weather. Cost $7.99.

To be clear, I did not mean "slipping" off my shoulder, I mean the tension knot that is used to control the length slips to the max length so a nice tight ride, quickly devolves into it slapping all over my shoulder and pack.
Straight off drop Pat an email or phone call...I bet he can solve that pretty quick.

I haven't had that problem with the 2 slings Pat gave me while on a bear hunt with him and Kurt several years ago.

UPDATE: Here they are. The dark brown underside is a very soft Bison hide that helps prevent the sling from slipping on your shoulder. The slings adjust from a length from 30" to 44". Also had a matching 1 1/2" gun belt made as well.

left is 44 Magnum, next is 45-70, then 30-06, and matching gun belt.

$420 for everything.

20220402_192955_HDR (1).jpg

20220402_192920_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Huge fan of leather slings. I use both a Montana Sling, and a 1907. I was taught how to use a shooting sling a long long time ago, my 1907 is probably 20 years old and automatically, if you will, adjusts if I need to. Basically if you have time to deploy your bipod I can sling. I carry one on my 338 Jarrett and on my 06. On my number 1s I use the Montana sling. It fits the rifle better, suitable for a hasty sling use if needed. The slip knot on the Montana adjusts quickly and I tend to keep the sling fairly snug so it’s not flopping around. #1s carry almost as well as a 94 so I tend to keep it in my hands. I have yet to experience the knot slipping while having the rifle slung, that would be irritating.
Good looking leather work on those.

UPDATE: Here they are. The dark brown underside is a very soft Bison hide that helps prevent the sling from slipping on your shoulder. The slings adjust from a length from 30" to 44". Also had a matching 1 1/2" gun belt made as well.

left is 44 Magnum, next is 45-70, then 30-06, and matching gun belt.

$420 for everything.

View attachment 217839

View attachment 217837
Nice...

Guess I’ll be the odd one…went to rubber slings on all my rifles a few years ago.
Love the look of leather but the rubber just makes life easier. Won’t slip off shoulder and can split strap over head for two handed climbing. Specialty outdoor products.

Guess I’ll be the odd one…went to rubber slings on all my rifles a few years ago.
Love the look of leather but the rubber just makes life easier. Won’t slip off shoulder and can split strap over head for two handed climbing. Specialty outdoor products.
I actually have one of those rubber slings on my 45/70 up at the lodge. It is handy,

Looks like a 1907 sling…
Those are the leather slings I use on every thing now. I get them at the surplus store near me but you can order them from the CMP store as well, and GarandGear.com too, I think.

Resurrecting this one from the dead but just received a Montana Sling for my .257 Ackley build. Looks fantastic and matches the rifle perfectly for a retro look. Thanks to all for the recommendations on this thread.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back