Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Leather slings

A207X2

I recently purchased a couple of very nice rifles, and while they're pieces of art (in my mind) they're also tools for hunting. I've always been a huge fan of leather. I think it's beautiful, long-wearing, and pretty much indestructible. However, I'm not sure how practical it is with today's modern non-leather slings.

Has the days of leather slings gone the way of the Dodo bird? Are you guys still carrying leather slings, and if so, why haven't you dropped them in favor of the newer, lighter, more durable slings?

I guess I'm really asking: "Talk me out of/into leather slings". I won't mind dropping the money on a beautiful, durable, practical leather sling but I don't want it to just be a safe queen.

1639416219557.png

I have a montana sling after several people raved about there on here. It was nice for the first couple of years, but now I find that it constantly slips. Huge PITA. Not sure if it's "fixable"

I bought a GAP in 2013 and it came with a Montana Sling. I thought why do a want a simple leather sling? I have since fallen in love with it and switch it back and forth between my two big game rifles. I need to break down and just buy a second one. Thumbs up.

Actually, the narrow leather slings are MUCH better for not slipping, especially if you're also wearing a backpack. The narrow sling will stay put between your neck and pack shoulder strap. Fat slings that ride on top of the strap are always slipping off the strap and off the shoulder. I don't like the neoprene slings. They soak up water and eventually get ratty. They are always over fat and tend to slip off my shoulder.

I've had this leather sling since 1981 and it's held up fine. The screw together rivet at fore end came unscrewed in the wilderness so I laced it together. The length adjustment thing at the bottom looks nice and I have no idea if it actually works. I always use it full length. This sling replaced the narrow leather military one my dad put on the gun. I fell asleep next to a campfire when caught in a snowstorm with my horses and the sling burned in two. I keep saying I'll get another military sling. It was great. I don't recommend a sling wider than this one - 2". The loaner gun I used in Africa was leather (buffalo I think) and I didn't like it. Only single ply and it curled and stretched too thin. This sling is full length two ply stitched together, roughout on back side. It's held shape very well. I would say avoid any leather sling with fancy buckstitching. Looks sexy but stitching will dig into your shoulder when wearing shirtsleeves. Also the finish eventually wears off the lacing and looks like crap.
20211213_130101.jpg

Last edited:
I have a montana sling after several people raved about there on here. It was nice for the first couple of years, but now I find that it constantly slips. Huge PITA. Not sure if it's "fixable"
To be clear, I did not mean "slipping" off my shoulder, I mean the tension knot that is used to control the length slips to the max length so a nice tight ride, quickly devolves into it slapping all over my shoulder and pack.

I order usgi leather slings they use for high power and service rifle matches

I have one on my rifle, but the rifle is in hand as much as possible. mtmuley

I find I either hand carry or mostly carry in my gun bearer on my pack.

Honestly wasn’t a conscious choice I just took it off to put it in the case one fall then just never thought to put it back on.

I reached out to the guy that has made my gun belts. I love the work that he does, and asked him if could make a couple of slings for me. We talked for awhile on the phone and are going to work together to come up with a design. It’ll be a 1 3/4” sling that will taper down to just under 1 1/2” at the swivels.

150-parkerized-rifle-sling-swivel-set-combatex_1400x.jpeg

It will be a double thickness (6-7 oz), lined and sewn on the inside. Double stitching with soft buffalo leather on the underside, with flesh side exposed to provide more grip. Chicago screws will be brushed stainless steel.

Here’s a look at how the stitching will be. Planning on doing it in a light tan tone.

gubbk__51094.1411140543.jpg

The sling will be one single piece of leather with only 4 holes punched (for the Chicago screws) :

674BAD46-C6DF-498C-8BC3-6EF0E6134068.jpeg

I’ll provide updates as it progresses.

Last edited:
I curse when I have a sling on and I curse when I don’t. I really haven’t figured out the best way to carry my rifles.

I always like to have a sling as an option and think your choices are good ones. It seems like when you don't have one, that's when you'll really need one.

I reached out to the guy that has made my gun belts. I love the work that he does, and asked him if could make a couple of slings for me. We talked for awhile on the phone and are going to work together to come up with a design. It’ll be a 1 3/4” sling that will taper down to just under 1 1/2” at the swivels.

150-parkerized-rifle-sling-swivel-set-combatex_1400x.jpeg

It will be a double thickness (6-7 oz), lined and sewn on the inside. Double stitching with soft buffalo leather on the underside, with flesh side exposed to provide more grip. Chicago screws will be brushed stainless steel.

Here’s a look at how the stitching will be. Planning on doing it in a light tan tone.

gubbk__51094.1411140543.jpg

The sling will be one single piece of leather with only 4 holes punched (for the Chicago screws) :

View attachment 205348

I’ll provide updates as it progresses.

Looks like a 1907 sling…

Go leather! I use Ching slings (Andy's Leather, made in USA from bridle leather), but have some 2 point slings as well (military slings). Hold up just fine.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back