Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Learning to elk call

Jorgy

My elk calling skills are pretty limited. I have been using a Hoochie Momma call for years, and I have a couple of "blow calls" (not sure what they are actually called; bite and blow?)

I bought a pack of Primos Mouth Reeds and was wondering if anyone has had a good experience with a youtube video that explains it well how to use them. I've looked at a few and haven't been that impressed.

I'm in the same boat, I was looking at the hoochie mama cause it's foolproof but want something that is hands free. I want good call but don't want the same call as everyone else on the mountain. Seems like the elk would pick up on that.. Or maybe I'm over thinking it.

I was looking at the hoochie mama cause it's foolproof but want something that is hands free.

Yep, the elk aren't fooled at all by the hoochie mama.

Get just about any single reed out there, they are easy to use and a quick youtube search yields a lot of results. Watch the elk 101 videos too, or anything that Corey Jacobson does.

Don't overlook a handcrafted call from Bitterroot Custom Calls (tjones). I got one last year, and it was by far my most effective call when I was chattering back and forth with cows.

Yep, the elk aren't fooled at all by the hoochie mama.

Get just about any single reed out there, they are easy to use and a quick youtube search yields a lot of results. Watch the elk 101 videos too, or anything that Corey Jacobson does.

Very true--- I have used the hoochie mama in the past... Had a bull screaming at me when I was using a good mouth call and as soon as I used the hoochie mama he shut up... Seems everyone has em and all the bulls have heard em now.

I've known Steve Chappell for about 15 years (he participated in elk hunt seminars for our RMEF chapter here in Arizona and is one of the top guides in Arizona; r-e-a-l-l-y good at videos too!.

Steve knows his stuff when it comes to elk calling --- he keeps it simple for the most part. This video should be helpful (also check out the other 3 YouTube videos linked to this one):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywCv1EcBjdU&list=PLEFNJjNKyyLbagnfWZJmIbv9dXqD_omDU

I've known Steve Chappell for about 15 years (he participated in elk hunt seminars for our RMEF chapter here in Arizona and is one of the top guides in Arizona; r-e-a-l-l-y good at videos too!.

Steve knows his stuff when it comes to elk calling --- he keeps it simple for the most part. This video should be helpful (also check out the other 3 YouTube videos linked to this one):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywCv1EcBjdU&list=PLEFNJjNKyyLbagnfWZJmIbv9dXqD_omDU

Great videos. I too am a big fan of the open reed calls... produce a better, more unique sound that the elk seem to really enjoy.

Great link there Lv2hnt, If I was the type to go guided he would be on the very short list. Practice, practice, practice and you'll be sounding great with a mouth call.

My son and I use a raging bull diaphram and homemade single reeds. Don't sell the hoochie too short though, they sound closer to real cows than many people think. I've seen them call in bulls in pressured OTC areas, when and how often to use it is key like all other calls.

The first thing you do when learning to properly use the hoochie mama; hold it in your hand like you would a baseball. Then, throw it as hard as you can into a nasty draw that you won't go down in. Next, walk away from that piece of crap. Now, let's get some quality calls going.

I don't like the bite down styles, the open reeds sound way better. The primos hyper lip single is my favorite and then the double reed. Carlson calls makes a very similar one that sounds really good. While you can make good cow talk with these, you can't really get a great eustress tone. Close, but not spot on. For eustress calls, you have to use a diaphragm. I prefer a quality double reed of some fashion, I hate a sonic dome style. When you use it, try not to use your lips. Rather, use air pressure and tongue pressure and make sure you are dropping your jaw. That is how you go from calls that sound close, to calls that sound truly like elk. Now, put the call in your mouth and when you drive to and from work practice til season starts.

How in gods name to get the grunt portion of a bugle using a reed? I can reed call but not even come close to doing the raspy finish at the end of a bugle. I haven't seen anyone explain that. Do any of these videos address that? It's driving me nuts. University of Elk Hunting covers the basics but doesn't touch on that. Thanks gang!

I love the dentures question? hahahahah no experience here. A reed should be easy to blow without teeth? be sure not to swallow.

Jorgy, did you get a chance to check out this video? I show here how to use a mouth reed & what types to consider, hope it helps! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACdfZS4uUBs

ElkNut1

ElkNut1 - watched it tonight and am currently driving my dogs nuts (and my wife) I have alot of practicing to do, and I am hoping that I will stop gagging every so often when I am practicing.

Anytime you are driving the wife & dogs nuts this shows you are on the right track! (grin) Don't give up, practice until you start getting those soft cow sounds before you move on to any bull sounds! As you practice the cow sounds say Shhhh as your tongue contacts center of latex reed!

Using a mouth reed with dentures is a bit tougher because the denture roof sits much lower than ones pallet & is narrow! Use a narrow reed in a single layered latex like the Mellow Yellow & Mini Master! I know these will work because last year I had a retainer in for a couple of months. I asked my dentist how it compared to dentures? He said the retainer sits a hair lower than dentures & that a reed in my mouth would be tougher to use. Of course I had to try & see what difficulties arose with it in & I had both cow & bull sounds ringing out in less than 2 minutes of use. So yes it can be done, be persistent, don't give up too easy & move the call around very slightly until you find the right location. I did find that I salivated up much easier though but it worked! (grin)

ElkNut1

In addition to Elknut's instruction, Rocky Jacobson (Buglin Bull Game Calls) has a good youtube video that shows how to use a diaphragm to bugle and shows how to get the deep gutteral sounds at beginning and end of a bugle.

How in gods name to get the grunt portion of a bugle using a reed? I can reed call but not even come close to doing the raspy finish at the end of a bugle. I haven't seen anyone explain that. Do any of these videos address that? It's driving me nuts. University of Elk Hunting covers the basics but doesn't touch on that. Thanks gang!

The way I have been taught is to make the sound by using your throat. You simply growl but in the throat with very little pressure on the reed.

If interested and would like some hands on help I will be doing a couple of seminars. They will be for Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls. I will be at Cabelas on the 16th of August in Billings and Helena on the 30th of August at Sportsman's. I will also have a booth set up in Ennis at Shed Horn the 23rd and 24th of August for them. I'm also trying to clear my schedule to be at Scheels in Great Falls the 25th and 26th of July.

Last year was my first elk hunt ever and I had to learn how to use the different cow and bull calls. I never really liked the Hoochie Mama or the standard put your mouth on it and blow calls. I also felt like every elk on the mountain had been hearing these same sounds from us for yrs. I learned how to use diaphragm calls from buying the Primos everything you need pack. They have a video that comes with it that I found very good. Once I was getting the sounds coming out and I believed that I was sounding pretty good, I would watch the video and just try to copy their exact sounds. I would also watch elk hunting shows and copy the cows and bulls as I heard them. What better way to learn than to hear the elk making the sounds right in front of you? I practiced for about three months and by the time September rolled around, I thought my wife was going to end up in jail for beating me to death. I was so surprised that the very first bull I bugled at, answered me and came running towards me. I was even fooling other hunters into calling back at me. Get your cow sounds down and the bull sounds will come pretty easily. Make sure to practice your growls and grunts. That makes the sounds so much more realistic. Just practice, practice, practice!! Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mtbirdandbiggamehunter
Back