Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Leaking Pronghorns

fargoflyfish

I purchased a new pair of Danner pronghorns from an estate sale 2 years ago. They were never used. Over the last two seasons they have done okay for me. First, the shoe lace grommets created some uncomfortable pressure points on the left that didn't allow me to lace them up tightly. I can get them snug, but have to keep them a little loose. This fixed that problem. This season, I have noticed that both pairs started leaking like a sieve. I use them for deer hunting and pheasant hunting and never walk in deep water, but they are definitely exposed to moisture. Every hunting day this season until it froze, my feet were quite wet at the end of the day. I apply boot wax regularly on them and they are gore tex lined. Anybody else have similar experiences with Danner? I am going to send them back in at the end of this season to have them looked at. It seems that boots in this price range should last for more than 2 years.

I have had 3 pairs of Pronghorns and every one leaked. I finally gave up,spent the extra money on Mendels and have never looked back. On my 4th year with the Mendels and no leakage yet! Danner went downhill as soon as they went overseas.

I wish I knew how many pairs of Danner's I've destroyed over the years... The Danners so far that have lasted more than 18-24 months have been the Danner Trophy boots. My current set of Trophy's are 4 years old and starting to get pretty beat up...

I will probably replace this set this spring with something from Lowa, Meindl, Kenetreck or similar... My Dad has had really good results with some of these, and I'm honestly sick of paying about $100/year on boots...

I've worn my Pronghorns for 4 years, probably 200 days out of each of those years between working and hunting. They've been on a few elk hunts, a mule deer hunt, pronghorn hunts and countless deer, rabbit and bear hunts. Finally they leaked this past Saturday after mucking thru several inches of mud and water for 8 hours during a pistol course. They didn't start leaking until the last hour. Everything was drenched though. I've been thrilled with how well they have held up.

The gore-Tex liner is only warranted for a year by Danner and for some reason it is always the first thing to go in their boots. I have had the exact same problem with their boots and have spent more money on better boots as a result.

I have two pair of Pronghorns and absolutely love them -- for early season, dry hunts that is. They are leaky, but if moisture is not an issue I love walking in them.

Thanks for all the input. I guess I know to get a different brand in the future. I will probably still send them in and hope for the best. The rep on the phone told me they shouldn't be leaking yet and replacement is likely. I'll be surprised if that actually happens. Worth a try though.

I had a pair and they leaked in the first bath tub test I did. Took them back immediately.

Back