Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Last day MT bull

Maginnis - Did you track him or just come across him while out hunting? Looks like some steep country to be tracking one all day.

Maginnis - Did you track him or just come across him while out hunting? Looks like some steep country to be tracking one all day.
I came across a mess of elk tracks during the day and stayed on them as they went up the ridge. I jumped 6 cows as i was excited head down looking at lynx track. (The first one I've seen in Montana) They spooked but I knew there was way more then 6 elk in this herd. I back tracked a bit and found where most of them peeled off the ridge to the south. As I veered of the ridge, I found them bedded on a north facing timbered slope directly across from me. About 300 yards away, I was able to get 2 bullets in him when he stood up. Yes the country was pretty steep and muck boots are pushing the comfort level in the mountains! I laced up the kene's the next day for the pack out as the temps climbed a bit.

Thanks for telling the hunt. Sounds like a lot of fun, misery, and work all combined. Enjoy your elk steaks and trophy.

Back