Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Kuiu vs Underarmour

smorgado

Im going to be buying new jacket and pant/bibs this year. I love underarmour products but im 6'4 and all their pants have 32 inseam. was looking into kuiu. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I only own 2 pieces of KUIU. But I've been impressed with them. I own gobs of UA, mainly because I get it for half off. With that being said, it's decent, but not great. At the end of the day synthetic doesn't hold a candle to merino.

I've heard nothing but good things about First Lite as well, slightly cheaper than Sitka/KUIU.

Kuiu makes really good gear at a pretty good price if you can handle availability/supply chain issues and mediocre customer service.

UA in general is OK gear that costs too much and assumes you have a fairly stocky build (wider shoulder and shorter torso). All of the UA gear lists as loose cut by their own admission while kuiu and sitka big game are fairly form fitting.

If you want Kuiu and its in stock order it today or backorder it if you really want it.

Sitka does have tall pants with a longer inseam, not sure on first lite.

I still use my Sitka pants because they are comfortable, and usually my legs aren't the part that gets cold. But I've dumped everything else Sitka lately. After wearing the Uncompahgre jacket a few weeks ago all day in the wind and rain and keeping warm and dry and comfortable...it was easy to part ways with my Sitka Vest and Jacket.

I use the Merino Llano SS for base, then the Chama Hoody as mid-layer, and have the Uncompahgre Puffy for a jacket which folds up nice and small into one of it's pocket and can go in your pack. Also use the Red Desert boxers, and Mountain Athlete Compression Socks. Merino Gaiter, Beanie, and Lightweight Gloves.

I can give an A+ to all of these items for comfort...either in warm or cold weather. First Lite is great gear. I suggest you give them a hard look when deciding. Check for sales at their vendor stores, like Linton Outdoors is where I usually get my stuff when it goes on sale.

I personally like First Lite wool underlayers and KUIU outerwear myself. That being said, I have the First Lite sanctuary coat for stand hunting in cold weather here in Ohio that is great. My dad has their puffy and really likes it. I don't think you could go wrong with either of the two companies.

I personally like First Lite wool underlayers and KUIU outerwear myself. That being said, I have the First Lite sanctuary coat for stand hunting in cold weather here in Ohio that is great. My dad has their puffy and really likes it. I don't think you could go wrong with either of the two companies.

Just to add on to this...I'm not sure how KUIU or Sitka works...but with First Lite their layers are sized knowing that you will have base layers, etc. So I can get the same size base layer, mid-layer, and outer layer...and they are all just a little bigger so they fit correctly when worn together.

I own the Chinook and the guide jacket from KUIU.

I like them both.

I use the Chinook for hiking and the guide for glassing.

Depending on where you hunt, you might want to skip the Guide or Chinook and go with the Yukon or Chugach hard shell. Chinook/Guide are water resistant, but not water proof.

I like the Attack and Chinook Pants from Kuiu, neither is better than the other in my opinion, but I do like the Chinook material better.

First Lite makes the best Merino products in my opinion and the best piece is the Red Desert Boxer. I wish they were cheaper, because I would wear them every day to work.

Kuiu works like First Lite, you order the same size for everything and it is designed to layer.

KUIU hands down. You can be layered from head to toe for hunting temps ranging from 80 degrees down to 0 for about $900, compared to a $600 jacket of Sitka.

I will not buy First Lite, again. After 2 years of hunting (and hunting hard) they have completely fallen apart. I like the comfort level- just not the quality. I personally like the KUIU pattern better than First Lite, as well. Patter is not the determining factor but quality sure is....

You will get what you pay for with Underarmour, own a lot of it. Don't wear it anymore since buying KUIU. UA will allow you to get wet and keep you wet. I should just give it away.

I think UA stuff is junk,and wayyyyy overpriced junk at that.Never tried Kuiu,but they have to be better then UA.Heard a lot of problems with first lite tearing,esp the pants.They may have that problems fixed now.I use all Sitka and the stuff is awesome.Nothing else I own could come close to putting up with the abuse that stuff gets and have never had a problem

I wear both UA and Kuiu. I have not had problems with either. I would give the tie breaker to Kuiu because I believe it is "engineered" more with the hunter in mind.

Once I was introduced to western hunting 6yrs ago and learned mostly on HT of merino wool all my UA crap is only worn for non-hunting activities, work around house, etc. I have a chit load of Kuiu gear and some FL, both are great, if I'd have to choose it'd be Kuiu.

In my opinion, Sitka, Kuiu and First Lite are a completely different level than UA. Each of those three have strengths and weaknesses. I think the FL base layers are very good and their labrador sweater is great. I like Sitka pants and the jetstream jacket/vest. I have the Coldfront jacket and it definitly performs as advertised but i probalby wouldnt spend that much again though. What little Kuiu i have has been fine.

UA used to make decent stuff. Anything I've bought from them hunting wise in the last 2-3 years has pretty much been garbage.

First lite makes a great product.

As a long legged/armed person I suggest Arc'teryx Gamma LT or AR in a long. If it's gotta be a "hunting" company there aren't that many options.

I'm 6'3" and have had a hard time finding gear that fits well. I am a really big fan of Kuiu. Last Thanksgiving I had some time to kill and read the first couple years worth of blog posts by Jason Hairston at Kuiu. I was super impressed with the thought and quality of materials used in each product. This year I purchased the guide jacket and pants. Both products held up VERY well in some pretty tough conditions. I highly recommend both products.

Their headquarters are just south of you in Dixon. It seems like once or twice a year they have a big open house and discount everything in their store. I receive the email invites and wish I could go, but driving from Utah doesn't make sense.

I have a Kuiu DCS Guide jacket and really like it. It's my primary outer layer when elk hunting during 1st rifle in CO. I don't have the experience with too many other high end products to say one is better than the other. But I can say Kuiu is good stuff. His business model is to make gear similar to Sitka, but use higher quality, better performing fabrics and then direct to consumer sales to keep the price equivalent.

I just purchased the Teton series gear from Kuiu. It just shipped out today and I should have it within 3 days. I'm 6'3" and a muscular 255 lbs, so I am curious to see how it fits. I know it's not their top of the line gear, but I'm sure there are lots of people out there that would like to hear about it. I'll give my initial reaction, without field testing it, on here once I receive it...

I purchased the ULTRA Merino 145 Zip-T from KUIU and I think it is a very good shirt. This last weekend, I wore it against my skin, a polar fleece shirt over it, and a light jacket (as an outer layer). I wore the KUIU attack pants with no "long johns" and was plenty warm in 0 degree weather with snow on the ground. I can't speak for the bottoms, because I don't have any of those products.

I am of the opinion that Under Armor (UA) is way over priced. I now think of UA is like Nike . . . that is your paying more for the name than the actual product. I would recommend the merino wool whether its from KUIU or First Lite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back