PEAX Equipment

Kodiak AK fishing

BuzzH

Got back from Kodiak yesterday after a 3-day fishing trip with my Dad and a friend of my Dads. My Dad has always wanted to fish Alaska so I called him this winter and we arranged the trip...time to stop talking and start going.

We spent the first day there just looking around, getting all our licenses together, checking out the museums, etc. etc.

The weather the whole time was good, cant complain about that. The fishing was pretty much non-stop action for the full 3 days. We caught 13 species of fish between us.

Heres some pictures...Dad and I checking out a crab fishing boat.

IMG_4395.JPG

A picture from the docks looking back toward the airport:

IMG_4382.JPG

Some more scenery:

IMG_4402.JPG

My Dads buddy Fred with a rockfish on...they fight pretty good and you can catch them one right after the other. Average fish was maybe 5-6 pounds.

IMG_4414.JPG

Dad with a black rockfish...nice average sized fish:

IMG_4415.JPG

Dad also caught the biggest halibut of the trip...good solid fish for sure.

IMG_4408.JPG

We had a great time and we're going back a year from this August.

JUST "a crab fishing boat"?!?! You must not watch Deadliest Catch! I'd say that that boat is probably one of the most well-recognized boats in the U.S. Would have been very cool to see.
Sounds like a great trip. You should put up more fish pictures!

Nice pics, looks like a heck of a way to spend Fathers Day. Good on you.

Hard to find a better way to spend a week than with your Dad, enjoying a fishing trip to AK. Good stuff.

And now you are going to be 4 days short on your hunting time this fall:D

Oh wait you probably will still have 73 2/5 days of time off:D

Need to go fish up there sometime, stupid work.

Dinkshooter,

Did the whole trip during my scheduled days off...I work an 8 on 6 off schedule.

I'll have over 400 hours of leave by hunting season.

Nice work guys. I'm jealous!

My folks and I are going out to do the same thing in a couple days. I hope we can land a a nice 'but or two like that one your dad caught. Is that about a 65lber?

Make sure you eat those rock fish asap. They don't freeze well.

Did you guys hook into any ling cod?

We did catch ling cod, but the season there doesnt open until July 1st. Not sure on the weight of the halibut, didnt weigh it. I'd guess it was all of 65...probably a bit bigger.

Very nice! Looks like you had some decent weather as well. I'm thinking I could talk my wife into something like that.

What a great way to spend a few days with your dad! For some reason I always figured you'd need at least a week for a worthwhile trip to AK, don't know why I never figured a way to sneak up there for a quick 3 days. Time to make some plans. . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back